AR15 Newbie here...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 Newbie here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Default AR15 Newbie here...

I've never owned an AR platform, but lately my father and I have been talking about going half/half on one, to make it cheaper, and either of us could take it to the range whenever. I entertained the possibility of me building it, because I enjoy doing detailed disassemblies of other guns. Would you say it'd be a realistic idea?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1217 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Can you assemble an AR, yes you likely can read and follow instructions and be successful.

The most recommended route is purchase a stripped lower receiver and install a parts kit, trigger, stock set, etc of your choice.

The purchase an assembled upper receiver built to your specifications from someone like:

Bravo Company Manufacturing - ranges from upper to top tier choices. A BCM is a recognized brand that will retain value.

Palmetto State Armory - ranges from budget to upper tier choices. Good value to cost ratio and a brand people are growing more familiar with.

Their are others, too many to list them all.

The highest end choices have names like Noveske, LaRue, LWRC, but I cannot justify their cost.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Also look at what you are planning to use it for. If for 100-400 yard target/plinking no need to spend $1500 + dollars, unless you can afford to. If planning on competition's or long range shooting, yeah spend the money.

Check out Slick Guns. It is a user posted deal site for guns and such. I have seen AR combos for as low as $399. May not be the best. Yes you get what you pay for and may not be looking for something that cheap but it is a good resource.

Hope I don't get in trouble with the mods, reason I did not post the link itself.

Check several of the threads at the top of the board section.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Can you assemble an AR, yes you likely can read and follow instructions and be successful.

The most recommended route is purchase a stripped lower receiver and install a parts kit, trigger, stock set, etc of your choice.

The purchase an assembled upper receiver built to your specifications from someone like:

Bravo Company Manufacturing - ranges from upper to top tier choices. A BCM is a recognized brand that will retain value.

Palmetto State Armory - ranges from budget to upper tier choices. Good value to cost ratio and a brand people are growing more familiar with.

Their are others, too many to list them all.

The highest end choices have names like Noveske, LaRue, LWRC, but I cannot justify their cost.

Looking to go pretty much the cheapest that can be gone, with my shoes still on.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknight40 View Post
Also look at what you are planning to use it for. If for 100-400 yard target/plinking no need to spend $1500 + dollars, unless you can afford to. If planning on competition's or long range shooting, yeah spend the money.

Check out Slick Guns. It is a user posted deal site for guns and such. I have seen AR combos for as low as $399. May not be the best. Yes you get what you pay for and may not be looking for something that cheap but it is a good resource.

Hope I don't get in trouble with the mods, reason I did not post the link itself.

Check several of the threads at the top of the board section.

Planning on plinking, 1 yard (I hope not), to 200 yards

Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Psa has a lot of good deals. My stepdad and stepbrother made a similar deal years ago now the ar sits in my stepdads safe that only he has the combo to and that ar hasn't been outta the safe in 15 years

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

For plinking and range use and even a duty rifle if you use all "premium" parts PSA is hard to beat. I usually buy my stripped lowers at a LGS then order the rest from them.

A stripped lower and one of their premium Rifle Kits will serve you just fine for about $550.00

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Psa has a lot of good deals. My stepdad and stepbrother made a similar deal years ago now the ar sits in my stepdads safe that only he has the combo to and that ar hasn't been outta the safe in 15 years

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Oh I'm pretty sure he's gonna be shooting it, as will I. If he never shoots that rifle, it's not gonna be at dads house!

Old 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
For plinking and range use and even a duty rifle if you use all "premium" parts PSA is hard to beat. I usually buy my stripped lowers at a LGS then order the rest from them.

A stripped lower and one of their premium Rifle Kits will serve you just fine for about $550.00

I've heard a lot of good things about PSA AR15s. I've bought maybe 5-6 non AR items from them. Good company it seems

Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #10

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICleanBrassWithJager View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about PSA AR15s. I've bought maybe 5-6 non AR items from them. Good company it seems
I've placed probably 10 or so orders with them and have never had a problem. A little slow, but worth the wait.