AR15 for a newbie
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR15 for a newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 04:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 for a newbie

Hey guys,
My buddy is interested in getting an AR15 and price isn't an issue but he wants to make sure he's getting a good rifle for a reasonable price.

Maybe you guys can help him, I already gave him my two cents on great manufacturers. Just want your guys opinions.

Thanks!

Jordan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #2

Liked 866 Times on 450 Posts

Default AR15 for a newbie

BCM, Daniel Defense, LWRC, Colt, POF, Noveske, There's a bunch out there if price is no matter. If he wants a reasonable price, Palmetto, Spikes, Stag

Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Why not build one? It will also give him the education on what he is firing also he can build it to do what he wants it to do vs. having a jack of all trades, master of none rifle!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Liked 217 Times on 108 Posts

Quote:
Why not build one? It will also give him the education on what he is firing...
because there are hundreds of decisions to make and the expense of building a rifle piece by piece is staggering and you don't know what you really want until you have sent a few hundred or thousand rounds downrange and you don't know what combinations work and what does not and

did you build your first car, house, rifle, airplane, without the education you need to know what you want and how to do it?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

I agree you should not build your first AR. My first was a basic DPMS Panther carbine. Only after many trips shooting with friends, making some modifications, and building my base of knowledge and preferences was I ready to do a build.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

Liked 3286 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I found these extremely helpful when I was looking for my first AR:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/understanding-barrel-twist-bullet-weights-44557/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-introductions-ars-101-a-62477/

Have a look at the stickies for each subject. A lot of knowledge & experience in them.
There's more to it than who had their name stamped or etched on the side. Some no-name guy can build top shelf rifles in his shed, while well known brands will kick an occasional turkey out the door. Knowing what matters and what doesn't is key.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-31-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Turn11 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Liked 382 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 57

The best deals IMO (and that's sort of a subjective concept):

Build or assemble: BCM or PSA. You can build or assemble pretty great rifles through these companies and get a lot of value for your dollar. Building will require $25 worth of basic tools and 30-120 minutes of time, but knowledge will be gained in the process. Assembling will require 5-40 minutes of time (even for a newbie), no out of the ordinary tools required, and is probably the best fiscal deal out there right now. I've built dozens of times over but mostly assemble of late...because it's just easier and cheaper. You can get a really nice PSA complete lower with Magpul CTR/STR/ACS stock for $220-250 (after shipping and all Xfer/BGC fees), and then add a nice BCM upper with a free BCG (top flight, $200 value) at a great price dependng on your desired specs. That deal is tough to beat.

Complete rifles: If you want to walk out of your LGS today with it, a $650 S&W M&P Sport is tough to beat. Excellent and dependable rifle for that price. For $700-$1100, look into options from PSA and Spike's...even if it requires a special online order or short wait. At $1300-1500, Daniel Defense is tough to beat.

The real key to getting ahead is understanding the market, the parts in play, and what your desired end product might be. That's difficult if you have minimal AR experience. Too many people buy a mostly good gun and spend $500+ getting it right for them. BTW-- I've done that myself...which is why I now build it right the first time.

Last edited by sweeper22; 01-31-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The best deals IMO (and that's sort of a subjective concept):

Build or assemble: BCM or PSA. You can build or assemble pretty great rifles through these companies and get a lot of value for your dollar. Building will require $25 worth of basic tools and 30-120 minutes of time, but knowledge will be gained in the process. Assembling will require 5-40 minutes of time (even for a newbie), no out of the ordinary tools required, and is probably the best fiscal deal out there right now. I've built dozens of times over but mostly assemble of late...because it's just easier and cheaper. You can get a really nice PSA complete lower with Magpul CTR/STR/ACS stock for $220-250 (after shipping and all Xfer/BGC fees), and then add a nice BCM upper with a free BCG (top flight, $200 value) at a great price dependng on your desired specs. That deal is tough to beat.

Complete rifles: If you want to walk out of your LGS today with it, a $650 S&W M&P Sport is tough to beat. Excellent and dependable rifle for that price. For $700-$1100, look into options from PSA and Spike's...even if it requires a special online order or short wait. At $1300-1500, Daniel Defense is tough to beat.

The real key to getting ahead is understanding the market, the parts in play, and what your desired end product might be. That's difficult if you have minimal AR experience. Too many people buy a mostly good gun and spend $500+ getting it right for them. BTW-- I've done that myself...which is why I now build it right the first time.
Could you elaborate on this please?

I think I know what I want, at least I have a plan and I am going down that road. As I go, I may make changes based on knowledge gained.

I do have some experience with the AR15 platform and I have fired a number of weapons of various makes and configurations.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #9

Liked 323 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf_inc View Post
Hey guys,
My buddy is interested in getting an AR15 and price isn't an issue but he wants to make sure he's getting a good rifle for a reasonable price.

Maybe you guys can help him, I already gave him my two cents on great manufacturers. Just want your guys opinions.

Thanks!

Jordan
You can currently get an entry level Colt in the $700-800 price range if you look hard enough. Colt has always been the industry standard. Some meet it, some don't, and some rise above it. Colt retains a bigger percentage of it's resale value just due to public name identification than any other brand, as long as you keep the parts all Colt and minimize the scratches. There are other brands out there that I believe are better, but I recommend Colt for the new guy just in case he 1. Changes his mind and doesn't want an AR any more, or 2. Gets infected with BRD (Black Rifle Disease) and wants to either plunk down money for a Daniel Defense or build his own. If either 1 or 2 happen, I believe the Colt will get him the maximum return on his money if he tries to sell the rifle.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #10

Liked 382 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The real key to getting ahead is understanding the market, the parts in play, and what your desired end product might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn11 View Post
Could you elaborate on this please?
Sometimes plans change with experience gained. That's just fine, but it can be expensive.

What I'm referring to is:

• Desired use: home defense, varmint/target, light & mobile vs heavy & stationary
  • Desired barrel: length, profile, material, gas system, twist, etc
  • Sight system: irons, maybe plus red dot(?), magnified scope, etc
  • Furniture- grips, stocks, handguards
  • Misc: trigger, receiver brands, etc

It takes a bit of experience to understand precisely what you want. For most of us, a few mistake were probably required in order to acheive that perspective...and to the detriment of our wallets. Just something to keep in mind. I'd rather you learn from my mis-haps (or someone else's) than your own.

You'll always do better when you truly understand where you want to end up. Ammending previous expectations tends to translate to dollars lost. Buying it right the first time tends to serve folks well.

Last edited by sweeper22; 02-01-2015 at 06:14 PM.
TheSadPanda Likes This