AR15 Muzzle Devices, RA XTC, PWS FSC556, PWS TTO, Surefire 556K, Ares Armor Effin-A - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 Muzzle Devices, RA XTC, PWS FSC556, PWS TTO, Surefire 556K, Ares Armor Effin-A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
No I have more than 4 ports closed. I'll double check the config tonite and report back.

Here's an interesting tidbit. When I shoot it loosely and not pull it in tight, it pushes ever slightly to the right.

When my buddy shoots it, he says it pushes a little left.

My other buddy says it pushes up .

My analysis. Everyone hold there guns differently. Everyone has different size hands and arms, different strengths too. When you tune the effin a, its personalized to you.

No shiz? That is kinda crazy, but I believe it, because the video I watched you could see the dramatic change in the way the barrel would move when the shot was fired. I couldn't believe those little set screws can make that big of a difference on it. Thanks for getting back to me Tikki, greatly appreciated, I look forward to hearing back from you about the config. Did it take you long to find the right setup as far as what ports to close and what not to? Or more or less just fire off 3-5 shot groups and feel it out and go from there?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm kinda embarass, but ya know, it was my first time. And I like to tinker. And I'm kind of a perfectionist.

I shot like 20 rounds to warm it up, did it while zeroing my red dot. Adjusted shot 10, adjusted shot 10. Then did some drills and adjusted. Then did some more drills followed by more adjusting. Then I took everything out except the bottom 4, and started again. I don't remember off hand what my final config is because changed it quite a few times. >< I'm happy with it right now but what I didn't want to do was just shoot it and make adjustments. I ran it, running and gunning and then made some tweaks.

SOOOO its kind of hard for me to put a round count on it. I really suggest shoot it a bit to warm it up. Put 3 in the bottom row. Shoot ten rapid fire. Make an adjustment, Shoot ten make a 2nd adjustment. Then run drills. Make adjustments after using it abit. Its a beauty and a curse to keep changing the configuration. Hell I could run it again right now and change it.

What you will have to do is realize that you will have to make compromises. You can tune it for thumb over hold, standing free hand like I did. But if you put it on the bench different forces apply and it will push differently. If you shoot weak hand it'll behave differently. If you shoot holding the magwell it'll yes yes yes be different. Track multiple targets and swing the front, the way you tune will feel different. It all makes sense if you think about it. But took me a while to figure out that a comprimise had to be make. (which is why I started over). Its impossible to make a configuration that will be perfect for all shooting positions. But you can find a config that does everything ok (except shooting weak hand. Its crazy how much it pushes to the side)

Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #23

I have a second one that I'm gonna put on a bench type precision build and I'm gonna tune it to sit flat off the bench for faster follow up shots.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Awesome, thanks a lot for the insight Tikki. I think I'm going to go with the Effin, I think I found a site that has the 556K in stock, but the ability to tune the brake for less money just seems right. Maybe in the future I'll pick up a Surefire, but it seems the Effin will do everything I'm looking for, and it's not bad looking either. One more question and then I'll shut up lol, where did you get yours? Straight from Ares or another site? I haven't seen them else where besides there.

EDIT:
Oh and are you planning on locktite'n the set screws? I know the video suggested using red locktite first and if that doesn't work, to use green locktite. I don't want to lose the screws but at the same time I don't want to ruin the brake either, guess I'll have to sacrifice one or the other....I doubt I'll be taking it off, unless it's for a 556K

Last edited by XxChino13xX; 03-26-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #25

No locktite needed, once its in there, its really hard to remove. I really don't think anything is necessary.

I got mine from Ares direct. They are a local shop to me. You missed the special they had for valentines i think, 2 effin As for $100. (don't worry I missed it too, I already had mine >.< )

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That makes me glad to hear that you didn't use any locktite, it seemed a bit extreme but made sense at the same time.

Ah ok then, so I'm not missing something by ordering it direct then, cool beans. Damn, two of them for $100?! Wow, yeah too bad I missed that opportunity too, cause what a deal.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #27

One of these days, I'm gonna get my hands on a few more muzzle breaks, and a couple thousand rounds and try them all.

I've been collecting them, buying them used, but with ammo prices as they are, this update ain't gonna happen any time soon.