AR15/M16 Barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15/M16 Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Default AR15/M16 Barrel

for those that may know some of the more grognard history of the M16-A1 i got a question

1in12 or 1in9 twist rate with 55 grn fmj.
what is more effective the moment the bullet hits the target as in destablizing and the bullet taking wierd paths or going to bits?? max effective range 300yards.

need enough accuracy with fmj to hit yote sized targets at 300 yards.

which twist rate will get a 55grn fmj there. what was the issued twist rate in the M16-A1 in the period from 1967-1980 when they started issueing the A2 with the 1in7.

ive come across a lot of conflicting info on this.
thanks.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

1:12 is better for lighter "varmint" bullets.

1:9 is good for 300 yards with 55gr. But, why FMJ on an animal?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

M16-A1 was a 20", 1:12 pencil barrel I believe. Either 1:12 or 1:9 will handle a 55gr...1:12 gives you more options going down in weight...1:9 going up.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #4

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Interesting question and I hope you get a lot of replies.

I'm no expert but from what I've read 1:12" was just enough for a stable flight and accuracy but gave a "poison bullet" effect where the bullet destabilized quickly upon striking the target. Upon entering the body it would turn and split in two or fragment, creating a much larger wound cavity (cavities) than say the 7.62x39 in Vietnam.

That effect is lessened in 1:9 and certainly 1:7 but of course today heavier/longer 5.56 bullets are used in the military.

Anyway, tough call as far as choosing your barrel and I guess the best bet is to try out different twist rates with 55gr and at different distances up to 300m.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
But, why FMJ on an animal?
not gonna use it on a beastie just using that as a refernce point as in hitbox size. i just want it accurate enough to hit an area the size of a coyote at that distance.

im trying to recreate the look and charateristics of the old M16-a1. i like old school stuff

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
im trying to recreate the look and charateristics of the old M16-a1. i like old school stuff
edited* Have you seen that old school kits like they had at classicarms.us? I don't see it on their sight now, but i'm sure it was a century deal. re-edit** http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1619%2DX The non-kit Century model.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-27-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

The M-16 A- Rifles were 1:12 Twist. The 55gr. Bullet will also shoot decent in the 1:9 the 1:9 will also handle 60s to low 70gr. bullets.

Here is a little formula to play with regarding the difference required in bullet rotation to stabalize a projectile. The heavier the projectile the faster it must spin (RPM) to stabalize in flight. If you shoot 69+ grain bullets out of the 1:12 you will normally get some key hole and side strikes because the bullet is not spinning fast enough.

Here is a little formula for you to have some fun with.
In.
Velocity of the bullet X 12=___________ Divided by Barrel Twist of (12)=___________ X 60 = The RPM of the projectile
Minutes

The first *12 = Inches and the *60 which equals minutes is always in the formula. Velocity can also change the formula.

Example 1:12 Twist

3000 fps X 12 = 36000 Divided by 12 = 3000 X 60 = 180,000 RPM (Max 55gr.)
FPS IN. Twist Minutes

The same formula above for the 1:7 Twist RPM=308,571

So you quickly see that the heavy bullets like the 69gr and 70+ bullets require a much faster twist to stabilize. The 1:12 is too slow. I have also seen an incident where a 42 gr HP Varmint bullet fired in a 1:7 never hit the target at 100-200 yards evidently coming apart due to RPM figured on the minimum of the 1:7 twist at 308,000 RPM + It is interesting to check this kind of thing out! Makes ballistics interesting!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

yeah ive seen both of those the century is a stainless barrel. im more looking for parts rather than an entire rifle. im still kicking myself for not buying a half dozen surplus barrels when you could get em for 50$ a pop.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
The M-16 A- Rifles were 1:12 Twist. The 55gr. Bullet will also shoot decent in the 1:9 the 1:9 will also handle 60s to low 70gr. bullets.

Here is a little formula to play with regarding the difference required in bullet rotation to stabalize a projectile. The heavier the projectile the faster it must spin (RPM) to stabalize in flight. If you shoot 69+ grain bullets out of the 1:12 you will normally get some key hole and side strikes because the bullet is not spinning fast enough.

Here is a little formula for you to have some fun with.
In.
Velocity of the bullet X 12=___________ Divided by Barrel Twist of (12)=___________ X 60 = The RPM of the projectile
Minutes

The first *12 = Inches and the *60 which equals minutes is always in the formula. Velocity can also change the formula.

Example 1:12 Twist

3000 fps X 12 = 36000 Divided by 12 = 3000 X 60 = 180,000 RPM (Max 55gr.)
FPS IN. Twist Minutes

The same formula above for the 1:7 Twist RPM=308,571

So you quickly see that the heavy bullets like the 69gr and 70+ bullets require a much faster twist to stabilize. The 1:12 is too slow. I have also seen an incident where a 42 gr HP Varmint bullet fired in a 1:7 never hit the target at 100-200 yards evidently coming apart due to RPM figured on the minimum of the 1:7 twist at 308,000 RPM + It is interesting to check this kind of thing out! Makes ballistics interesting!
damn!! ive never seen that formula before!! then that means im looking for the spare to be a 1in12 cuz i will definately want to run the light varmint rounds out of it on occasion.

now just gotta find somone that makes a slow twist barrel.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
damn!! ive never seen that formula before!! then that means im looking for the spare to be a 1in12 cuz i will definately want to run the light varmint rounds out of it on occasion.

now just gotta find somone that makes a slow twist barrel.
Contact JD, he had a Colt A1 1:12 pencil barrel in the upper his shop built for his buddy that eventually made its way to me...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington