Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 Lower compatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 Lower compatibility

Looking for some opinions on what AR15 lower would be best/most compatible with switching around between different caliber uppers. Any information y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

Default AR15 lower question

I wasn't sure if I should I post this in here or the DIY section so I ended posting in both. Sorry for the redundancy.

The question what AR15 lower would be best/most compatible with switching around uppersbetween different caliber uppers. Any information y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

Buy a mil spec forged alum lower and any mil spec upper will fit it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

Depends what calibers you're talking about. What you want to do may not be possible.
If you're talking 5.56 and 300 blk any mil-spec lower should be fine.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Buy a quality 'multi/556' lower from a reputable company. The cost on a stripped lower can be anywhere between $80-250. Paying more for the right name will generally get you increased "tacticool points" at the range and a significant resale value advantage if you decide to sell. Functionally, there's a pretty minute different between the $80 and $200+ options in my opinion.

Billet can be a great addition if you intend to sell your build, as can trendy names like Noveske. Otherwise, a lower being 'billet' doesn't really matter in my opinion. Your lower is simply not under a great deal of stress.

I've built 5 guns on Noveske lowers...all well built and good guns. All sold quickly for slightly inflated prices due to essentially having a trendy hood ornament. A few of my personal guns are built on $100 PSA lowers. Every bit as good, cheaper, but lacking the same resale potential...but it doesn't matter if they're 'keepers'.

That's how I see it anyway.

People Like This 
Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was going to post the same questions about the lowers, I would like to build one and did not know what the difference between the brands. to me they are just the same metal milled to spec. just could not see paying 200.00 for a striped lower when I see them for 125.00 to 150.00

Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Well the name of the roll mark, especially the logo, can command extra coin. Also billet lowers tend to cost more than forged lowers.

But you should be able to pick up a quality mil spec lower for $120 to $150 OTD these days. My LGS has them for $110 + tax right now. Roll mark is nothing extraordinary, but looked to be functional.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 08-08-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #8

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 700

I tend to kick in a little more for a lower I really like, $25 extra for a S&W, $20 more for an ArmaLite and $20 more for a Charles Daly (gift for my son-in-law who's from Harrisburg, PA like Charles Daly). I also paid about $60 more to get a Quentin Defense US Army Edition billet lower. Each time it was worth it. Sometimes you get extras like a flared magwell, etc.

Really it's a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of the rifle, so why not get what you want!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

ZeusEcho Likes This 
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Aero precision makes like 80% of the receivers on the market. They make receivers for ALOT of companies and private label them with the other company's name. If you are buying an economy lower (less than $100 per lower) it is probably an Aero. I have seen alot of these lowers and the finish is good. I have seen one or two which weren't 100% perfect to spec but were good enough. For example one where a Noveske ambi safety wouldn't fit, any other safety I tried fit just fine and the Noveske safety fit in other lowers so it wasn't Noveske's fault.

I like aluminum lowers, for the price really what are you saving going with plastic. Everyone brings up Glock as being proven plastic lowers etc... but one is a pistol the other a rifle and the price difference is so marginal.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Palmetto State just recently had a deal for a "blemished" lower with LPK for $99. I bought one as I couldn't resist that price. I got it in hand, there are no blemishes. So all you need then is a buffer tube assembly and stock. Buffer tube assemblies I've seen for $59 for milspec in a local shop, and take your pick on stocks. Ready to go lower under $200.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr