Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 lower build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default AR15 lower build

I was reading the sticky on the lower build. What about the mag release button amd the bolt release lever? How do you put these in? I have a RR stripped lower coming in and have the RR 2 stage trigger and lower parts kit.

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffspot View Post
I was reading the sticky on the lower build. What about the mag release button amd the bolt release lever? How do you put these in? I have a RR stripped lower coming in and have the RR 2 stage trigger and lower parts kit.
Mag release is simple...

MAGAZINE CATCH ASSEMBLY

PARTS: magazine catch, magazine catch spring, magazine button
TOOLS: 5/32" roll pin punch

• Install magazine catch into recess on left of receiver.
  • Install spring onto threaded portion of magazine catch from the right side of receiver.
  • Screw button onto threaded portion of magazine catch 3 or 4 turns.
  • Use a punch (larger than hole in magazine button) or wooden dowel to push in the magazine button so you can turn the magazine catch clockwise until the end of the catch is flush with the magazine button head. You can hold the receiver and press the punch against the table to do this, but put something between the punch and the magazine catch button to prevent marking it. Do this step first, as it will prevent the bolt catch from getting in the way as you turn the magazine catch into place.
    CAUTION:
    IT IS POSSIBLE TO SCRATCH THE RECEIVER ON THIS STEP!
    Take special care when turning the magazine catch to avoid rubbing against the hump around the bolt catch. FUNCTION CHECK
  • Check that depressing the magazine release button will push the magazine catch out of the magazine well in the lower receiver.
  • Spring will return magazine catch to engage in magazine well.

BOLT CATCH ASSEMBLY

PARTS: bolt catch, bolt catch buffer, bolt catch spring, roll pin
TOOLS: 3/32" roll pin punch, 5/32" (or larger) punch

• CAUTION:
    IT IS VERY EASY TO SCRATCH THE RECEIVER ON THIS STEP!
    Take special care to make sure pin in in place before driving it, and ensure that it is held securely in place when striking the punch. Fiberglass packing tape - 2 layers thick - taped over the receiver just between the receiver and the punch can help avoid scratching.
  • When installing the bolt catch, first drive the roll pin about halfway into the rear hump from the rear of the receiver using roll pin holder. It can be very difficult to get this pin started; you might want to try squeezing the roll pin on one end with pliers or the vise before starting. If you don't have a roll pin holder, then try holding it in place with a pair of needle nose pliers while you drive using a 5/32" punch.
  • Install spring in hole on left side of receiver.
  • Install bolt catch plunger on top of spring with round portion on top and small end into receiver. Make sure it moves freely in its hole.
  • Install bolt catch in receiver; it only fits on one way.
  • Use a 3/32" punch to hold the assembly by placing it through the front hump.
  • The pin can be driven the rest of the way from the rear as the punch will be pushed out and while holding the bolt catch in correct alignment. (function check as you do it to make sure it's going in correctly)
  • Avoid marring/scratching lower by covering receiver with tape, cloth, or other material while you do this. FUNCTION CHECK
  • Verify that the bolt catch functions smoothly and is under tension from the spring.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #3

Before you actually build it it really helps to lay out the parts and compare them to this:Parts list

Lay everything out so you know which spring goes where. Some small springs look similar and get confusing.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #4

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Woody's right, you want to be 100% sure you get the right springs and detents sorted out - especially for the bolt hold open assembly. Also I always save the BHO, pivot pin and trigger guard till last to be sure all the other parts in the LPK work right before installing those last subgroups which are hard to uninstall. (Why get stuck with them installed then find something else wrong with the LPK and have to return it!)

Nice instructions, Jpyle!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
Before you actually build it it really helps to lay out the parts and compare them to this:Parts list

Lay everything out so you know which spring goes where. Some small springs look similar and get confusing.
This. This is a habit I picked up a few years ago at work. I assemble high-end fitness equipment for a living, hundreds of bolts and nuts and washers on some bigger pieces. I always lay out the parts in the same order as the parts list, just makes things much easier.
The Mag release button is a breeze. I did have some trouble with the bolt catch rollpin but it did go in. And I did scratch the reciever a little bit. Personally I don't care about scratches.
Take your time, make sure you have all tools you need before you start and have fun.
Good luck!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

I have had a couple of Lower parts kits that came with duplicate springs and on kit came missing 2 springs. They are small and do get lost, either in your carpet or on the company floor when packed. It is s real bitch getting into a build and being SOOOOOOO close to finishing and find you are short one freakin spring. Enough to make you wish the gun was up and running.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Buy Daniel Defence LPKs

Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1805 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Default Anodizing Touch Up

JonnyV,

You mentioned some scratches on your receiver!
If your receiver is the standard dark anodizing here is how to touch up those scratches. It will not take care of any gouges but will do a great job on the cosmetic finish. We use this technique in our schools.

Using one of the Small Ronson type torches that you can get from Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot or a hardware for around $26.00. They refill with a cigarette lighter refill canister and three or four various tips. We do not use any of the tips when performing the below operation. The one I have is made by Ronson. Here is how it goes:
1. Use Break and Parts Cleaner or Gun Scrubber on the area to remove all lube.
2. Use Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black Metal Finish
3. Use a Que-tip to apply when ready to touch up
4. Hold the torch aprox. 3" away from the Receiver *Do not over heat!
5. Warm the area with the torch while applying the Aluma-Black with the Que-
tip on the area.
6. Use the torch to reheat the area while applying the Aluma-Black and then
repeat this process until you are satisfied with the finish repair.
* Once again do not over heat the area.
But by heating the surface it opens up the pores in the metal and allows the
Aluma-Black to be absorbed by the T-6 aluminum.
7. Apply lube to the finished area since it will be totally absent of any lube
when you are finished.
Please PM me if you have any questions or are not clear on the procedures.