AR15 jam/stovepipe
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 jam/stovepipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 jam/stovepipe

Bought a brand new AR this year, put about 700 rounds through it before I started experiencing stovepipe jams, bolt, extractor, ejector, buffer spring, buffer, ammo, is all good. The only thing I could find online was that the bolt carrier may be moving too far into the buffer tube and that a possible fix could be to put shims (quarters) in the buffer tube behind the buffer spring making the bolt stick past the ejection port about a 1/4 inch instead of the bolt being flush with the extraction port. Please give me your thoughts on this idea, I will be trying it out next week.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2952 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 263

NO NO NO!!! If it needed shims, Gene would hve put them there. Most likely source is a loose gas key. Check the two allen screws (40 INCH pounds, Really), and stake the screws.

Lemme guess, Bushmaster? They do not stake the gas key screws and this happens all the time.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

It's a red x arms 16" upper and a spikes tactical lower, the gas key it tight and staked. I've tried swapping bolt carriers, putting a different upper on my lower and it still resulted in a stovepipe that's when I looked into possible problems with the buffer, a lot of people including red x arms are telling me to try a H2 buffer but from what I've read this wont fix my problem just slow it down.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Liked 2385 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Actually the H2 may help by slowing the carrier down enough to allow ejection to occur before the bolt is too far to the rear. Also slowing the bolt carrier down may prevent that over travel and bolt bounce back forward.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

I'm 95% sure that the over travel of the bolt carrier group is the issue. But I still need to fix it, if the shims and/or the h2 buffer doesn't work, I'm wondering if there was a way to make the buffer tube screw into the lower receiver farther to prevent over travel?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

you dont by chance have a rifle length spring in that buffer tube do you , I have seen it happen , just a thought

Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #7

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

[QUOTE=colecross;1026163]Bought a brand new AR this year ...QUOTE]

Does this have a warranty? You might want to contact the builder.

Does this occur with all magazines, all ammo?

Carbine length gas and a 16" barrel? If so, the H2 buffer sounds good.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

canebrake Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

almost sounds like your undergassed if you ask me . Your not getting enough gas to extract the shell but just enough to pick up the next round , Heres a few things I would be looking at , Pull bolt, check extractor spring and see if it has a rubber insert , check ejector spring and make sure its in good shape , if it continues I would tell you to remove one weight out of the buffer and retry, I dont suggest shooting it like this but just do it as a test . I dont think a heavier buffer is going to fix your problem if you do have a under gassed situation . If it does fix the problem I would be checking the gas port for obstructions

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Have you checked your gas rings? I once had to change mine out at 500 ish rounds. My gun wouldn't cycle Wolf, but would M193. When I found the rings to be an issue, i swapped it out and voila, it cycled Wolf afterwards.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Until the OP answers my question I'm still suspecting magazines and maybe ammo, after all he did say he's had stovepipes with two uppers and possibly two BCGs.

And when it comes to AR malfunctions the first word in MEAL is Magazines. Ammo isn't far behind.

To be fair, it isn't clear if he used two bolts, he just said carrier, so the extractor could still be in play.

And Lube!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-27-2012 at 07:45 PM.
canebrake Likes This