Ar15 help / build project
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar15 help / build project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ar15 help / build project

I just bought a ar 15 smith and wesson lower receiver yesterday. I'm looking for more parts already when I was about to buy a should stock it asked for eaither commerial or mil spec what does that mean?? Also I'm looking at triggers I want to do a good nice trigger that's not to expensive and easy to install. Any help guys thanks pics soon!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6732 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

mil-spec means made to military specifications. this is desirable in most parts excluding higher end match grade parts which are built in general to higher tolerance than mil-spec. commercial grade means it may or may not be in spec can be higher or lower grade than milspec. generally commercial grade will be lower quality meant for putting cheap rifles together for people who may not shoot 1000 rounds in a lifetime.

purely my opinion best bang for the buck upper recievers atm are rock river arms.

the rock river arms two stage trigger is the best highest quality trigger for the price point. i just got one for my AR15 and will be taking it out for a test drive. its got a glass rod break feel to it right after a short light takeup.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3458 Times on 1673 Posts
Likes Given: 1740

Moneymaker,

I would suggest you take a look at the Rock River Two Stage Trigger if you want a real nice match grade trigger and not spend an arm and a leg for it. They are about the best out there for the price. Shop around to find the best deal on them.
As far as the stock I personally would go ahead and buy the commercial the mil-spec doesn't give me any warm and fuzzy. The buffer tube (Extension Tube) on the Mil-Spec is smaller vs the commercial. For example the Rock River 6 Position Collapsible Stock kit as well as Stag, Sabre, Bushmaster and others are actually the commercial models. As well as all 25,000 of the FBI and DEA contract weapon. So with this in mind I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
When it comes to the companies mentioned above. Most their products exceed the standard of mil-spec. Closer tolerances.

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-30-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

MM, nice choice on the S&W stripped lower! The one I have is excellent.

I would get the milspec size M4 stock kit (assuming you want that style stock). Also there are many more options for aftermarket stocks if you go with the milspec size receiver extension (that screws into your stripped lower) instead of commercial size.

As far as triggers, you said good but not too expensive so I'd recommend a Stag LPK which comes with a nice single stage trigger. I've been impressed with the three Stag kits I've installed. But everyone has a different opinion of what a good trigger feels like so you may want to try out a few before buying.

If you decide to go this route, BCM has Stag LPKs and nice milspec stock kits.

BTW, I'm not saying the commercial size is bad, just that you have more 3rd party options going with milspec. The main thing is get the same size for the RE tube and stock.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #5

Just a suggestion but give Palmetto State Armory a look as well. They have nice deals on magpul stock kits, and their Upper receiver has gotten very good reviews and doesn't cost an arm and legs. They also have lower parts kit with many options. Don't know how good these lpk are but I haven't read a bad review from PSA yet. And I believe one of the PSA rep on ar15 forum said all their upper has lifetime warranty.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is the stock im going to order for my ar-15, Magpul MOE Stock Black

please tell me anything i need to know before i order this stock. thatd be great.
id

as far as this 2 stage trigger goes, how easy is it to install? i dont have any spcial tools for this, yet.. haha thanks !!!!!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The MOE is an excellent product.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Liked 1311 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 571

IMO 2 stage trigger is easier to install than a standard trigger, but neither is difficult to do. Read the instructions in the permanently attached posts at the top of this section for some great advice and guidance.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker17 View Post
This is the stock im going to order for my ar-15, Magpul MOE Stock Black

please tell me anything i need to know before i order this stock. thatd be great.
id

as far as this 2 stage trigger goes, how easy is it to install? i dont have any spcial tools for this, yet.. haha thanks !!!!!
That price is just for the stock here's one for the entire assembly:
MAGPUL MOE Stock Kit Milspec - Black

And yes, magpul stuff is good.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

MM, the MOE stock you linked is milspec so you'd need a milspec RE or buy the commercial size MOE and RE. The Magpul kit Car54 linked is a great one-stop solution. I've always had great service from DSG too.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek