Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar15 gas system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2600 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

The DI system does put more crud into the receiver than a piston setup. The trade off is simplicity, fewer moving/reciprocating parts and better accuracy. A DI gun will function well even when extremely dirty as long as it is properly lubed. If it starts to malf, pull the BCG and lube it up. It will run till dry. Better yet use dry lube from Sentry Solutions and shoot to your heart's content.
Few civilians will ever NEED to shoot that much ammo with out cleaning.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

ergh, Um, If i'm not mistaken isn't graphite corrosive to Aluminum?

Here's an excerpt from WIKI:The use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steels, and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminium in presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft [4], and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons [5]. Even graphite pencil marks on aluminium parts may facilitate corrosion.

And I THINK that back during J/C days the instructor told us to never use our pencils on aluminum (dychem and Acentone FTW)

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
ergh, Um, If i'm not mistaken isn't graphite corrosive to Aluminum?

Here's an excerpt from WIKI:The use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steels, and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminium in presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft [4], and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons [5]. Even graphite pencil marks on aluminium parts may facilitate corrosion.

And I THINK that back during J/C days the instructor told us to never use our pencils on aluminum (dychem and Acentone FTW)
There are non-graphite dry lubes for firearms. I'm not very familiar with them, but am positive of their existence at least. Some people highly recommend them. Not me, I'm an old school CLP user. Wet lube FTW in my book.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:16 AM   #24

Hmmm. Interesting. I'll look into it when I run out of CLP

Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting. I'll look into it when I run out of CLP
I would too, if I didn't have such a massive supply of CLP

Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
I would too, if I didn't have such a massive supply of CLP
Awesome I just have one of those like 6 or 8 ounce bottles... that's lasted me about 2 years on my firearms(including 3 22lr rifles of mine, and my dad's 22.) The stuff has amazing properties I guess

Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Awesome I just have one of those like 6 or 8 ounce bottles... that's lasted me about 2 years on my firearms(including 3 22lr rifles of mine, and my dad's 22.) The stuff has amazing properties I guess
You're conservative with your CLP then. I'm pretty liberal with application of it. I pretty much keep it handy while shooting and the first moment I hear any metallic action with each shot, it's time for more oil. For one, it garuntees I never run dry, for 2 it should extend the life of the BCG and components by keeping them massively lubed and less capable of wear and tear.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have both and would say both systems are nice. The piston gets a "dang" or "nice" from time to time due to the overall price and technology (as applied on an AR platform). My DIs have never failed me though. Heck, even the M4 issued to me while in the service ran great. Another poster stated that the piston simply redirects gas and carbon in other places. That is a correct statement. It still gets dirty but in other areas than the DI system. IMO they each have strong points and neither is really better than the other for my intended purposes anyway.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #29

Lol actually I just only shoot once every few months
soon it'll pick up... which'll mean a LOT more CLP usage... but we'll see.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 AM   #30

Default Bless You

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Here is a dissenting opinion (based in fact and on experience). The conditions that most civilian AR style DI rifles (in a lot of the terrain/environment in the U.S.) are exposed to do NOT require excessive cleaning to keep functioning. Unless you expose the chamber/ BCG directly to a lot of loose dirt or sand driven into it all one has to do is keep it wet with good quality lube (Slip 2000, Mobil 1, whatever). A good quality AR can go thousands of rounds without cleaning. It will not run without lubrication.
Everyone is all about the piston guns because there has been a campaign (started with the HK 416) to get us to think all our "old" gas guns are horrible and require cleaning between each magazine change. B.S. Yes a piston gun keeps the BCG cool and clean, but it simply moves the heat and carbon elsewhere. The same heat and carbon have to go somewhere, guess where? Not out the barrel I assure you.
Nothing is perfect, gotta weigh the choices (as you have done).
And good luck

Patret