ar15 fte/ftf issues please help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar15 fte/ftf issues please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ar15 fte/ftf issues please help

I know i am jumping the gun a lil asking this right now. My rifle is right around break in phase. Have 450 rounds through it. Had two sessions of about 70 rounds. Cleaned after. And recently took her out in 110 degree weather and shot about 320 rounds out. I use frog lube and have on every gun i own and love it. But my rifle will have spurts where ot will shoot 5-10 rounds and womt eject the empty and then sometimes 1 round before fte (failure to eject) issues. As u can imagine its a pain to breakdown and clean an ar in 110 degree temps so after about 10 cleandowns i stopped and went home. I shot factory reload. Pmc. Wolf. Lake city. A jammed. And mags are all pmags. Any help is appreciated. I am located in phx, az if that helps also.
SEMPER FI

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like maybe an extractor problem. Could be the steel cases of the wolf. Also what is ur barrel chambered in 223, 223 wylde or 556? Make sure your using the right ammo for the barrel. You might need an extractor upgrade.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #3

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

By FTE do you mean spent cases occasionally stuck in the chamber?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Fail to extract or fail to eject?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llapanda
I know i am jumping the gun a lil asking this right now. My rifle is right around break in phase. Have 450 rounds through it. Had two sessions of about 70 rounds. Cleaned after. And recently took her out in 110 degree weather and shot about 320 rounds out. I use frog lube and have on every gun i own and love it. But my rifle will have spurts where ot will shoot 5-10 rounds and womt eject the empty and then sometimes 1 round before fte (failure to eject) issues. As u can imagine its a pain to breakdown and clean an ar in 110 degree temps so after about 10 cleandowns i stopped and went home. I shot factory reload. Pmc. Wolf. Lake city. A jammed. And mags are all pmags. Any help is appreciated. I AM LOCATED IN PHX, AZ if that helps also.
SEMPER FI
Well there's your problem...it's just too damn hot here that's all!
Seriously though with a little more info these guys will help you out. They all know their stuff.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I would say start small. Change your lube. Start using CLP or motor oil.

Check the mags. Is it the same mag causing problems?

And then check the extractor. Is it dirty? Maybe have a bad extractor spring if its pulling out of chamber but not ejecting. Tad more info will help

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #7

Thanks everyo e for responses. I cleaned it hard and shot and its all gravy now. Just break in i am assumin. It was failing to eject spent casings and then would feed and i would get double feeds on occasion. I am a firm believer in frog lube. Worked wo ders for my kimber and my buds ar. But i do appreciate everyones help. Now i know what to look for if any future issues pop up. Any one in az? Lookin for some people to run tactical drills

Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #8

Also all mags are new and the same. All have less then 70 rounds through them. Just so people knew.
Semper fi

Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llapanda
Thanks everyo e for responses. I cleaned it hard and shot and its all gravy now. Just break in i am assumin. It was failing to eject spent casings and then would feed and i would get double feeds on occasion. I am a firm believer in frog lube. Worked wo ders for my kimber and my buds ar. But i do appreciate everyones help. Now i know what to look for if any future issues pop up. Any one in az? Lookin for some people to run tactical drills
I'm out here in Gilbert..Where are you?

Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For future refrence of someone else reading this thread...

FTF and FTE I usually look first at the ammo. If switching the ammo doesn't solve the problem, I try different mags.

I'll examine the extractor and if I don't see any obvious problems I will check for gas port alignment/blockage issues.

If I don't see gas port problems, back to the extractor and extractor spring. I may disassemble the bolt assembly and make sure it's perfectly cleaned inside and possibly upgrade extractor and ejector springs.

Other issues, if the buffer weight has been changed, I might put in a smaller buffer. People like heavy buffers for issues of perceived recoil but they can cause problems if too heavy. Buffer springs can be too tense or too weak. BCG can be too light or too heavy. If any of these have been recently changed that's likely the culprit.

Improper lubrication can sometimes be the cause. If you completely clean your AR's action with solvent but don't lubricate it. Pull back on the charging handle and take not of the resistance. Then properly lubricate and do the same, you will likely notice a difference in resistance.

When

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com