Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ar15 front sight post removal. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-front-sight-post-removal-70587/)

rurak 08-18-2012 01:09 AM

Ar15 front sight post removal.

Hey all. I've got an m&p 15 sport. I'm toying with the idea of removing the front sight post which is also the gas block. I know it's difficult but I really just want to see it done. I can't find any videos on it. Can anyone post a video or pics or a write up please.? I would like to put a flip up front sight instead of a fixed post.

JonM 08-18-2012 01:19 AM

any reason why?? the fixed fsb is much more sturdy and almost impossible to dislodge with damage that would bend the barrel. on some SW they stupidly put the taper pins opposite of how it is supposed to be done. you really have to look and see which side is larger than the other. the pins have to be driven out from the small side

okdonk 08-18-2012 01:21 AM

I just searched "front sight post removal" in youtube. It shows a few videos. Check them out. And good luck.
Also, i assume you will be replacing the original plastic handguard with a quad rail? What rail do you have in mind?

rurak 08-18-2012 01:16 PM

Ive already got a quad rail on it. Im actually just curious about how its removed and how difficult it is. Judging by what ive read i wont attempt it myself. I want to take it off because ive got a scope on it and you can see the post through the scope if you look at the right angle

Gatoragn 08-18-2012 02:47 PM

On the vast majority of ARs, lay the barrel with the right side down, back the pins out left to right. Use a pin punch slightly larger than the pins and give them a firm whack to start them. A smaller diameter pin or a center punch runs the risk of bradding the ends.

According to a 'smith I trust, Bushmaster is one of the exceptions, they back out from right to left.

rurak 08-18-2012 03:04 PM

Thank you for your help

ZeusEcho 08-19-2012 12:01 PM

Rurak- some of the tools may also cost you more than just having someone else remove it. Don't buy that piece of Sh*t Brownells block, it does not support the FSB correctly because it's machined flat and allows the FSB/Barrel to rotate when hit. I tried everything mentioned online and bought the correct tools and still couldn't remove the FSB on my BCM. I sent it to Steve at ADCO and they removed it for $35. Not only that Steve had it done and shipped back out the same day he received my upper.

purehavoc 08-19-2012 12:24 PM

I removed them on one of my guns and let me tell u this was not a easy task. I ruined a $20 set of
Punches. Bought a better hardened set and finally got them off. By the time I spent $50 on punches and built my own block to hold it all l could have sent it to adco . Just saying :D

rurak 08-19-2012 12:32 PM

We have a pretty good gunsmith at our lgs that works on ar's. I'm still toying with the idea

quadrail74 08-20-2012 12:55 AM

Great info in this thread...I'm looking to purchase my first AR and I too, prefer flip up sights. I have a mossberg tactical .22 plinker, and if it wasn't for the carry handle, the fixed front sight would be in the scopes view.