Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ar15 feeding problems (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-feeding-problems-95656/)

vetteguy 08-18-2013 03:00 PM

Ar15 feeding problems

I have problems with my DPMS feeding ammo at auto fire with a slide stock.

It usually does pretty well with semi auto but sometimes does not feed a shell and puts a small long narrow dent in the shell that did not feed. Anyway to tell if it is my mag spring getting weak or if the bolt is not picking up the shell and feeding it properly. Any guidance is appreciated.\\
Thanks.

Guymandudebreaux 08-19-2013 01:36 AM

Pay close attention when loading your mags, make sure every cartrige is set against the rear wall of the magazine, most importantly double check the the position of the very first round prior to insertion of the mag into the receiver. I had the same problem until I noticed just before loading my magazine the first round was slightly askew. You might think it would be negligible, barely noticeable but that was my problem. Operator error.
I have a half a dozen NATO 62 grain penetrators with a shallow/ narrow dent 3/4 of the length of casing.

JonM 08-19-2013 04:24 AM

Its cycling faster than the magazine can keep up. Dpms uses lightened bolt carriers you might need a m16 style bcg and possibly a heavier buffer. Dpms are also generaly over gassed exponentiating the problem. Getting a better bcg and heavier buffer still might not solve it. Dpms just aren't meant to run that fast.

Quentin 08-19-2013 04:36 AM

In addition to what Jon said, does your DPMS have M4 feed ramps? They're helpful in a carbine that's cycling near full auto rate. Also you speak of magazine, not MAGAZINES. Is this limited to just one?

I'd eventually get rid of the bumper but it may have pointed out problems in your AR.

bluez 08-19-2013 03:44 PM

Like they said:

Most Carbines these are factory overgassed to be able to reably shoot softer loaded ammo.
When going full auto you overcycle.

After adding a heavy buffer (maybe even full auto BCG) try to use a brand new quality magazine to ensure a stiff spring.

KG7IL 08-19-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteguy (Post 1339199)
Anyway to tell if it is my mag spring getting weak

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1339832)
Also you speak of magazine, not MAGAZINES. Is this limited to just one?.

Before you spend much money, try a new, quality mag.
Inventory is amazing right now.

vetteguy 08-20-2013 10:08 AM

Dpms

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1339824)
Its cycling faster than the magazine can keep up. Dpms uses lightened bolt carriers you might need a m16 style bcg and possibly a heavier buffer. Dpms are also generaly over gassed exponentiating the problem. Getting a better bcg and heavier buffer still might not solve it. Dpms just aren't meant to run that fast.

Thanks for the info. Disappoint but sounds logical ad likely.

I may try a heavier auto bolt. I do have new mags and they helped some but not a cure.

Guess there are no cheap versions of auto out their.

bluez 08-20-2013 11:15 AM

"H" Buffers may also be a cheap improvement :)

Quentin 08-20-2013 02:13 PM

Yeah, a heavier buffer is a smart upgrade. If you have a 16" barrel with carbine length gas plus over gassing you might be able to run an H3 buffer without short stroking. Probably should get an H2 though if you run cheap ammo.

Or get the H3 and if it short strokes, knock out the roll pin from both buffers and swap one weight. Now instead of a standard and H3 you'll have one H and one H2!