Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 curiosity question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 197 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default AR15 curiosity question

Dear experienced members,
I havent owned an AR15 but planning to buy one. I am interested of this model from Bushmaster:
http://www.impactguns.com/Bushmaster-223-m4-moe-blk-bcwa3f16m4mo-604206113382.aspx
I noticed Bushmaster is one the best brand for AR15. But i don't know why my local gun stores dont carry Bushmaster brand. For this kind of rifle ammo, do walmart stores sell them? How much an average for each? I also noticed for civillian AR15 models only semi auto, not full auto. I assume full auto firing mode only for LOE? Last question, i just bought my first firearm, Glock19 2weeks ago. Will i get denial on background check if i buy this rifle not long after my first firearm purchase?
Sorry for having too much questions and thank you for any inputs given. Appreciate it. Thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Bushmaster is good. So is Rock River, Stag, Colt and a bunch of others. There are many options. You won't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here. What brands do your local stores carry?

Wal-mart near me (in New York) does not sell rifle ammo but there are plenty of sources. The model you're looking at is chambered for both 5.56 and .223 which is good.

AR-15s are semi-auto only. It may be possible for you to purchase a full-auto M4, but those are expensive and require you jump through some hoops for the government first.

There should be no problem with you buying another firearm soon after buying the last one. NICS doesn't care. Check with your local laws and make sure there aren't any limits of how many you can buy in a given time.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Bushmaster is good. So is Rock River, Stag, Colt and a bunch of others. There are many options. You won't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here. What brands do your local stores carry?

Wal-mart near me (in New York) does not sell rifle ammo but there are plenty of sources. The model you're looking at is chambered for both 5.56 and .223 which is good.

AR-15s are semi-auto only. It may be possible for you to purchase a full-auto M4, but those are expensive and require you jump through some hoops for the government first.

There should be no problem with you buying another firearm soon after buying the last one. NICS doesn't care. Check with your local laws and make sure there aren't any limits of how many you can buy in a given time.

in maryland its 30 day waiting unless you have a collectors liscense.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 197 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 59

My local stores carry sig and daniel defense brands. For about the same price i might as well get the one i wanted online.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Both are good brands. Figure out what you want and do some shopping online to get an idea how much it should cost you and then make a call on the DD or Sig. Personally, I'd go for a different brand that's as good and cheaper. Build your own or buy online.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Daniel Defense puts BM to shame. If you have the chance to get a Daniel Defense do yourself a favor and get it. Purchasing an AR simply based on how it looks is asking for a headache.

The model you linked is a normal BM in a pretty dress. If you're wanting a rifle that performs and are in the market for a $1,000 rifle a BCM or DD, heck even a Spikes will give you better value for your dollar. You can get a similarly dressed Spikes for less. Check out www.Aimsurlplus.com for Spikes uppers at great prices.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

Consider yourself lucky your local gun shop actually has a Daniel Defense in stock. I'd go handle that rifle right now so you get a feel for what a quality AR is! And if you shop around, for not that much more $ than many Bushmasters. I'm so glad I stumbled across a great deal on a stripped DD upper a year ago.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Consider yourself lucky your local gun shop actually has a Daniel Defense in stock. I'd go handle that rifle right now so you get a feel for what a quality AR is! And if you shop around, for not that much more $ than many Bushmasters. I'm so glad I stumbled across a great deal on a stripped DD upper a year ago.
I was thinking the same thing even though if my LGS had one it would be hundreds over what I could get it for online.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aren't AR15 designs identical? Like a 1911 .45?

If that is the case, in what way are certain brands superior? I recently purchased a Stag Model 2 in 5.56, and everything seems to fit precisely and operate smoothly, from shooting to take down. The trigger seems a little heavy, but I'm a long gun noob, so really have no frame of reference other than semi-auto and revolver handguns.

Thanks,
Blue1

Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19555 Times on 11098 Posts
Likes Given: 49205

basic design is pretty much similar. the big difference is machining and material quality. some are put together with crappy parts and materials and won't last as long as a quality built one.