Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR15 Course (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-course-58443/)

Millerlite 02-21-2012 08:58 PM

AR15 Course

Well in 2 days I'm off to a 4 day practical rifle course in Las Vegas. The main reason I'm going (other than the training of course) is to meet up with long time friends whom I don't get to see very often and cuz it was FREE!

One of my friends had a free pass (2k value) so why not right? It's at Front Site and while I'm excited about going, I've read some negative stuff related to recruitment of members and stuff. Guess its like a time share got to put up with some BS.

Anyway, I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I also want to try Rifles Only down in Kingsville, TX since its in my backyard.

Millerlite 02-23-2012 02:10 PM

Flying out in 2 hours, it will be fun just to get some extended shooting time apart from kids and family.

Millerlite 02-28-2012 07:53 PM

IF mods want to move this to training forum, cool, but I thought I'd give the forum my followup. Again, this was at Front Site, about an hour outside Las Vegas in the dessert. I learned a ton of from the course and thought it was very good. There was about 36 in the 4 day class with a range master and 5 other instructors. Here is the breakdown:

Day 1 - Lots of safety training, some classroom lectures, but at the range most of the morning and afternoon. Lectures while you ate lunch. Course started at 7:30 and ended at 5:30pm. First day was basic mechanics and some dry and live practice. Pretty standard stuff. Also repetitive range commands. Each day built up.

Day 2 - Started with learning to zero using BUIS, optics, etc at 50 yds. Trained on accuracy, sight picture, front site, trigger pull. Went through positions for shooting - off hand, sitting, kneeling and prone. Shot at 15 yrd, 25yrds (head and body), 50yrds, 100yrds and 200yds. Dry practice on malfunctions, type 1,2 and 3. More live fire.

Day 3 - More live fire based on day 2 exercises. Went on to do hostage rescue at 7yrds. Also did emergency close combat with rifle at 3yds. Shot at all the same yardage as before working on technique. Move on to 400yd shoot (5 shots) on 2X2 plate. More malfuntion training. 5 at a time went through simulation exercise on steel targets 1 on 1 with instructor at various distances using all the techniques learned. There was one paper target that had something in thiers hands (wont give it away). That was really fun. In the afternoon the instructors started using timed drills.

Day 4 - Again more live fire from previous days exercises. This day was really dedicated to honing skills, no more instruction. The afternoon was the skills test where you had to shoot all the same distances as before just with buzzer. You were graded (taking points away) for misses in the body (outside thoraic cavity, outside cranial cavity), misses on paper, misses on time, misses on technique and misses on after action drills. To make distingush graduate (only they can move to the advanced training) you had to only miss 13 pts, to make graduate I think you can only miss 31pts, anything less is cert. of achivement. You were also graded on type 1, 2 malfunctions (against buzzer) and type 3 proceedural no buzzer. The range master said he has only seen about 5 ppl make DG in the 9 years hes been teaching it. One guy was there for the 12th time! I didn't make DG :( but made graduate. I really sucked on malfunctions under time.

Anyways, It was fun, I am tired and I learned a great deal. They didn't try and push anything on me which I liked (in terms of membership and whatnot). All in all good experience.

Millerlite 02-28-2012 08:08 PM

oh and btw my BCM ran great over 500rds no cleaning and not one issue. I was running an eotech and it was good but alot of ppl were running acog cuz of the easy ranging and magnification. I will say that if anyone takes a course like this (4 days and over) go with your most reliable and LIGHTEST firearm of choice. By the time you add loaded mags and other gear it got tiring. Also make sure you zero your BUIS as you might need them if you have optic failure/damage and you only get 9 shots to zero one set of sites.

AgentTikki 02-28-2012 08:40 PM

ooOoOoo sounds like a great time man!

and.......PICs OR IT NEVER HAPPENED! :D

Millerlite 02-28-2012 08:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Too busy shooting but managed a few