AR15 build, any advice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 build, any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AR15 build, any advice?

I'm new to the semi auto build and this year I want to build a few ar's, if you guys would stop buying all the parts . For the first one I have a complete CMMG lower, and a DPMS stainless upper without the internals. Now, some people tell me you can just slap the upper to the lower and you are good to go while others tell me I need to take it to a gun smith and have it head spaced (?). I have a carrier assembly that came out of an Armilite ar that I was going to use.

I'll do some searching on this site, but until then I was hoping you guys could educate me on the complete build concept and explain some of the do's and don'ts involved in these builds.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrant88 View Post
For the first one I have a complete CMMG lower, and a DPMS stainless upper without the internals. Now, some people tell me you can just slap the upper to the lower and you are good to go while others tell me I need to take it to a gun smith and have it head spaced (?). I have a carrier assembly that came out of an Armilite ar that I was going to use.
Probably a good investment to have the head spacing checked on the upper.

Head spacing makes sure the round is properly seated in the chamber once the bolt locks into place.

If you purchase a complete upper you are usually good to go.

Yes you can mix & match mil-spec AR15 lowers & uppers. Some (maybe all) Colts have some funky pivot/takedown pin sizes.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 04-02-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrant88 View Post
I'm new to the semi auto build and this year I want to build a few ar's, if you guys would stop buying all the parts . For the first one I have a complete CMMG lower, and a DPMS stainless upper without the internals. Now, some people tell me you can just slap the upper to the lower and you are good to go while others tell me I need to take it to a gun smith and have it head spaced (?). I have a carrier assembly that came out of an Armilite ar that I was going to use.

I'll do some searching on this site, but until then I was hoping you guys could educate me on the complete build concept and explain some of the do's and don'ts involved in these builds.

Thanks.
Without the internals means no BCG or charging handle, right? If that's the case, then you should only need to order those two parts, then pin them together and be good to go.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, thanks. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the idea of how a gun like this would be head spaced. But I guess that's for the gunsmith to worry about. I'll call a guy today.

Yeah, I don't have the charging handle, just the armilite BCG. So the charging handle is the only part I need to buy. I heard there is a charging handle that is better for scoped ar's, do those cost much more?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You can get a standard charging handle for about $20. Some people opt for a larger latch to help clear their optics. I like the BCM Vltor Gunfighter MOD 3 (large latch).

Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

ArmaLite bolts have a relieved lug opposite the extractor but it should work. I'm hesitant to recommend it since from here it sounds like you're slapping together used parts and have a DPMS upper. A lot of us like to use the same mfg for bolt and barrel to increase the chances for proper headspace. And don't like to throw in a used bolt from another gun into a used upper. Yeah, be safe - have the headspace checked.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I also remember reading reports of factory fresh DPMS chambers being out of spec and not liking 5.56 ammo.............. +1 headspacing check.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$25 to have the head space checked. Not bad. I might get that charging handle. I'll look it up and see what the price is.

I'm tempted to get a different bolt then, if it is a smarter move. I just thought since I had one lying around I'd use it but maybe it's not a good idea to mix and match so much.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #9

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Well the ArmaLite bolt is tough so if it doesn't have a lot of hard use it might be ok, again it's worth the cost to check headspace on what you already have.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well the ArmaLite bolt is tough so if it doesn't have a lot of hard use it might be ok, again it's worth the cost to check headspace on what you already have.
The bolt looks new and that is what the guy told me when I bought it. He threw it in with some ammo I bought a few years ago.

Hey, just noticed where you are from. I live in Boise also. What do you think about Ed Sweet as a gunsmith? I've had him do other jobs for me so figured I'd have him check this ar out.