ar15 A2 rifle barrel length
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar15 A2 rifle barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ar15 A2 rifle barrel length

What is the standard length A2 style barrel? I just got my firearm and I want to change the hand guards to ones with rails. Do I just take my existing ones off and measure the length or measure the barrel length?

pwa-a2-.jpg  

Last edited by 99monguse; 01-05-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Measure the handguards, should be 12" for rifle length.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

those definitely look like rifle length in the picture, looks like you have a 20" barrel.

there's 3 standard size lengths that I'm aware of. carbine and mid-length, both typically have a 16" barrel unless LE only or if it was sold as a pistol, and then the full length or rifle length hand guards, which are typically on the 20" barrels.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #4

I don't know how far the barrel threads into the upper, but it looks like it might be a 20" barrel. I was thinking about changing the barrel out at some point to a carbine 16" but for now the hand guards with rails will suffice. I am changing the A2 stock to an adjustable. I believe I will need:
stock, buffer tube, buffer, spring and end plate all for the adjustable stock...and of course it's going to be MILSPEC.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99monguse
What is the standard length A2 style barrel? I just got my firearm and I want to change the hand guards to ones with rails. Do I just take my existing ones off and measure the length or measure the barrel length?
Barrel length and gas system length are 2 different animals. A standard A2 style AR would have a 20" barrel with a rifle length, 12" gas system but that doesn't mean you have that.

Gas system are generally described as rifle length 12", mid length 9" and carbine length 7". Standard handguards that require the delta ring and hand guard cap will need to fit the gas system length...free float hand guards with a low profile gas block do not, that is you can mount a 13" handguard on a carbine gas system if the tube fits over the gas block.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99monguse
If you just got it what did you buy? The shipping info with the rifle should describe both the barrel length and the gas system length. 20" a barrels are almost exclusively 12" gas systems but not gonna guarantee that...all types of hybrids on the market today.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington