Ar15 2 round bursts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar15 2 round bursts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recently got my stag arms LPK and I installed the trigger group in my lower. When I was at the range over the weekend I loaded a 2 round clip just incase anything was the way it shouldn't buy everything was fine. After about 60-70 rounds I put a new pair of shooting gloves on and when I pulled the trigger it shot a 2 round burst that scared me. I immediately cleared the rifle and pulled the lower and found that the pin that holds that hammer had slid out of one side of the lower and the hammer was sitting crooked. I fixed that and put my cmmg conversion in (.22) and without the gloves on it did the burst again so I had to leave so I didnt raise any suspicion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

How old is your lower?

I understand tat your trigger assembly FCG is new. But the holes for your hammer and trigger pin may be out of spec.

Id consider gettin some kns pins.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2694 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Usually caused by the hammer tripping when the trigger is released. Once shot when you pull the trigger and one shot when you release it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My lower is brand new (new frontier), should I take it to a gun smith and have him check it out?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 79 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You should call New Frontier. Tell them whats happening and give them a chance to make it right. Because whats happening isn't right. Is this a POLY lower? If it is they, will probably tell you to put the poly lpk back in it and see if it still happens. If the problem does not repeat, they will tell you it's the fault of the stag of the lpk. If it does, there is a possibility they will still blame the stag lpk or your installation there of. If their Customer service is what it should be they will make it right without question. If not you are now fore warned of possible scenarios they may pursue.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #6

Liked 2114 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 459

A few variables to consider. Did you put all the Stag trigger parts? The legs of the FCG springs should engage grooves in the pins to keep them from walking. If the holes in the lower are not positioned properly then ther could be inadequate tension, or if the springs are not properly installed it could cause problems with the pins walking.

Then the disconnector that fits in the tail of the trigger has a spring under it. Sometimes folks install the tapered spring upside down so that the narrow part goes in the recess in the trigger tail. This will prevent the disconnector from bring able to seat properly in the groove in the tail under operation. This can cause doubling if shots because it may engage sometimes, but maybe not all the time.

So double check all of those springs for proper orientation. See if someone you know has a proper functioning AR that you can compare things to. See if the hole drilling was done in the proper spacing on your lower. Also do let New Frontier know if your problems if simple troubleshooting doesn't fix your problem. Check for small cracks around the pin holes as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrentzero
I recently got my stag arms LPK and I installed the trigger group in my lower. When I was at the range over the weekend I loaded a 2 round clip just incase anything was the way it shouldn't buy everything was fine. After about 60-70 rounds I put a new pair of shooting gloves on and when I pulled the trigger it shot a 2 round burst that scared me. I immediately cleared the rifle and pulled the lower and found that the pin that holds that hammer had slid out of one side of the lower and the hammer was sitting crooked. I fixed that and put my cmmg conversion in (.22) and without the gloves on it did the burst again so I had to leave so I didnt raise any suspicion.
Why would you leave? What suspicion?

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
A few variables to consider. Did you put all the Stag trigger parts? The legs of the FCG springs should engage grooves in the pins to keep them from walking. If the holes in the lower are not positioned properly then ther could be inadequate tension, or if the springs are not properly installed it could cause problems with the pins walking.

Then the disconnector that fits in the tail of the trigger has a spring under it. Sometimes folks install the tapered spring upside down so that the narrow part goes in the recess in the trigger tail. This will prevent the disconnector from bring able to seat properly in the groove in the tail under operation. This can cause doubling if shots because it may engage sometimes, but maybe not all the time.

So double check all of those springs for proper orientation. See if someone you know has a proper functioning AR that you can compare things to. See if the hole drilling was done in the proper spacing on your lower. Also do let New Frontier know if your problems if simple troubleshooting doesn't fix your problem. Check for small cracks around the pin holes as well.
ill second this.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Perhaps that someone would think he has tinkered around with the trigger mechanics in order to produce an automatic function, which would be a federal crime? Even if it was an honest mistake in reassembly, I'd rather not have to explain it either if a LEO happened to be present and asked about it.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
That he was possession of a full auto rifle. A malfunctioning semi-auto that fires multiple rounds with 1 trigger pull is a machine gun per BATFE regulations and a brand new machine gun gets you 10 years in the pokey.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 02-26-2013 at 03:57 AM.