Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ar15 2 round bursts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-2-round-bursts-85134/)

revrentzero 02-25-2013 02:31 PM

I recently got my stag arms LPK and I installed the trigger group in my lower. When I was at the range over the weekend I loaded a 2 round clip just incase anything was the way it shouldn't buy everything was fine. After about 60-70 rounds I put a new pair of shooting gloves on and when I pulled the trigger it shot a 2 round burst that scared me. I immediately cleared the rifle and pulled the lower and found that the pin that holds that hammer had slid out of one side of the lower and the hammer was sitting crooked. I fixed that and put my cmmg conversion in (.22) and without the gloves on it did the burst again so I had to leave so I didnt raise any suspicion.

AgentTikki 02-25-2013 02:43 PM

How old is your lower?

I understand tat your trigger assembly FCG is new. But the holes for your hammer and trigger pin may be out of spec.

Id consider gettin some kns pins.

robocop10mm 02-25-2013 02:45 PM

Usually caused by the hammer tripping when the trigger is released. Once shot when you pull the trigger and one shot when you release it.

revrentzero 02-25-2013 10:12 PM

My lower is brand new (new frontier), should I take it to a gun smith and have him check it out?

EW1066 02-25-2013 10:25 PM

You should call New Frontier. Tell them whats happening and give them a chance to make it right. Because whats happening isn't right. Is this a POLY lower? If it is they, will probably tell you to put the poly lpk back in it and see if it still happens. If the problem does not repeat, they will tell you it's the fault of the stag of the lpk. If it does, there is a possibility they will still blame the stag lpk or your installation there of. If their Customer service is what it should be they will make it right without question. If not you are now fore warned of possible scenarios they may pursue.

EDUB

SSGN_Doc 02-26-2013 02:10 AM

A few variables to consider. Did you put all the Stag trigger parts? The legs of the FCG springs should engage grooves in the pins to keep them from walking. If the holes in the lower are not positioned properly then ther could be inadequate tension, or if the springs are not properly installed it could cause problems with the pins walking.

Then the disconnector that fits in the tail of the trigger has a spring under it. Sometimes folks install the tapered spring upside down so that the narrow part goes in the recess in the trigger tail. This will prevent the disconnector from bring able to seat properly in the groove in the tail under operation. This can cause doubling if shots because it may engage sometimes, but maybe not all the time.

So double check all of those springs for proper orientation. See if someone you know has a proper functioning AR that you can compare things to. See if the hole drilling was done in the proper spacing on your lower. Also do let New Frontier know if your problems if simple troubleshooting doesn't fix your problem. Check for small cracks around the pin holes as well.

Squawk 02-26-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revrentzero
I recently got my stag arms LPK and I installed the trigger group in my lower. When I was at the range over the weekend I loaded a 2 round clip just incase anything was the way it shouldn't buy everything was fine. After about 60-70 rounds I put a new pair of shooting gloves on and when I pulled the trigger it shot a 2 round burst that scared me. I immediately cleared the rifle and pulled the lower and found that the pin that holds that hammer had slid out of one side of the lower and the hammer was sitting crooked. I fixed that and put my cmmg conversion in (.22) and without the gloves on it did the burst again so I had to leave so I didnt raise any suspicion.

Why would you leave? What suspicion?

JonM 02-26-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1154476)
A few variables to consider. Did you put all the Stag trigger parts? The legs of the FCG springs should engage grooves in the pins to keep them from walking. If the holes in the lower are not positioned properly then ther could be inadequate tension, or if the springs are not properly installed it could cause problems with the pins walking.

Then the disconnector that fits in the tail of the trigger has a spring under it. Sometimes folks install the tapered spring upside down so that the narrow part goes in the recess in the trigger tail. This will prevent the disconnector from bring able to seat properly in the groove in the tail under operation. This can cause doubling if shots because it may engage sometimes, but maybe not all the time.

So double check all of those springs for proper orientation. See if someone you know has a proper functioning AR that you can compare things to. See if the hole drilling was done in the proper spacing on your lower. Also do let New Frontier know if your problems if simple troubleshooting doesn't fix your problem. Check for small cracks around the pin holes as well.

ill second this.

GeneralPatton 02-26-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1154480)

Perhaps that someone would think he has tinkered around with the trigger mechanics in order to produce an automatic function, which would be a federal crime? Even if it was an honest mistake in reassembly, I'd rather not have to explain it either if a LEO happened to be present and asked about it.

Jpyle 02-26-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1154480)

That he was possession of a full auto rifle. A malfunctioning semi-auto that fires multiple rounds with 1 trigger pull is a machine gun per BATFE regulations and a brand new machine gun gets you 10 years in the pokey.