AR10 buffer tube
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR10 buffer tube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default AR10 buffer tube

So, I can't find an AR-10 section. I have a question anyway. I have a DPMS LR-308. It currently has a Magpul PRS stock. I want to switch it to a mil-spec adjustable stock. I can't find a 308 mil-spec tube on DPMS's web page, only commercial. I talked to Mark there and he said to buy the parts individually if I want Mil-Spec. The threading on AR15 buffer tubes is standardized, so are the AR10's also? Any suggestions on a tube, spring, buffer combo to work with a collapsible stock? Can I use my existing spring and buffer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Not a whole lot of standard AR 10 parts unfortunately. I would search for parts that specifically guarantee they will fit an LR 308 receiver, this way you can at least return it if needed. Try RRA, they sell a lot of AR10 parts, many of which are proprietary but their stock may adhere to the DPMS pattern. Joebobsoutfitters.com also list AR10 accessories.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #3

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1017

I don't know if the DPMS .308 threading is the same diameter as their AR-15 or ArmaLite's AR-10. You should call DPMS again and get that info.

ArmaLite's AR-10 does have a milspec tube so standard stocks should fit it fine. So if it will screw in your lower or an AR-15 tube will you should be good to go. Sorry, I don't know that for sure about the threads.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10207025

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

When I get the buffer tube, will I need a different buffer spring and buffer going from A2 to adjustable?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #5

Yes..........

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Ok. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #7

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpalmer View Post
So, I can't find an AR-10 section. I have a question anyway. I have a DPMS LR-308. It currently has a Magpul PRS stock. I want to switch it to a mil-spec adjustable stock. I can't find a 308 mil-spec tube on DPMS's web page, only commercial. I talked to Mark there and he said to buy the parts individually if I want Mil-Spec. The threading on AR15 buffer tubes is standardized, so are the AR10's also? Any suggestions on a tube, spring, buffer combo to work with a collapsible stock? Can I use my existing spring and buffer?
For the 308 AR, there are 2 general configurations: Armalite and DPMS. Although some parts are interchangeable, and I don't know which ones, and my questions to the companies have been that they only guarantee THEIR parts will fit on THEIR guns. There may be a few smaller companies that have their own proprietary guns, but most will interchange with either Armalite or DPMS: good luck figuring out which. Hope this helps, and not add to the confusion.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #8

Off the top of my head I'd guess that DPMS and AR-10 tubes would interchange and you'd think they'd be the same thread size as the AR-15. Dumb not to be but of course find out for sure, we see dumb things all the time.

______

Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The threads and diameter of the portion that is threaded is the same. Before the release of VLTORs A5 guys used their .308 receiver extension on AR15s to get an A2 like buffer system with the ability to still have a collapsible stock.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #10

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Off the top of my head I'd guess that DPMS and AR-10 tubes would interchange and you'd think they'd be the same thread size as the AR-15. Dumb not to be but of course find out for sure, we see dumb things all the time.
Q, I agree. You would think that they would all be interchangeable at least with other 308's, but I guess since there isn't as big a market as for the AR15's, there is no push for standardization. I do know that DPMS and Armalite 308 mags will NOT fit in each others rifles, and their uppers and lowers can't be swapped. I have been told that BM will fit DPMS, but what else goes to what is anybody's guess.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin