Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR10 buffer tube (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar10-buffer-tube-57893/)

dickpalmer 02-16-2012 10:00 PM

AR10 buffer tube

So, I can't find an AR-10 section. I have a question anyway. I have a DPMS LR-308. It currently has a Magpul PRS stock. I want to switch it to a mil-spec adjustable stock. I can't find a 308 mil-spec tube on DPMS's web page, only commercial. I talked to Mark there and he said to buy the parts individually if I want Mil-Spec. The threading on AR15 buffer tubes is standardized, so are the AR10's also? Any suggestions on a tube, spring, buffer combo to work with a collapsible stock? Can I use my existing spring and buffer?

Jpyle 02-16-2012 10:34 PM

Not a whole lot of standard AR 10 parts unfortunately. I would search for parts that specifically guarantee they will fit an LR 308 receiver, this way you can at least return it if needed. Try RRA, they sell a lot of AR10 parts, many of which are proprietary but their stock may adhere to the DPMS pattern. Joebobsoutfitters.com also list AR10 accessories.

Quentin 02-16-2012 11:08 PM

I don't know if the DPMS .308 threading is the same diameter as their AR-15 or ArmaLite's AR-10. You should call DPMS again and get that info.

ArmaLite's AR-10 does have a milspec tube so standard stocks should fit it fine. So if it will screw in your lower or an AR-15 tube will you should be good to go. Sorry, I don't know that for sure about the threads.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10207025

dickpalmer 02-16-2012 11:36 PM

When I get the buffer tube, will I need a different buffer spring and buffer going from A2 to adjustable?

Quentin 02-16-2012 11:38 PM

Yes..........

dickpalmer 02-17-2012 12:00 AM

Ok. Thanks.

fsted2a 02-17-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickpalmer (Post 710814)
So, I can't find an AR-10 section. I have a question anyway. I have a DPMS LR-308. It currently has a Magpul PRS stock. I want to switch it to a mil-spec adjustable stock. I can't find a 308 mil-spec tube on DPMS's web page, only commercial. I talked to Mark there and he said to buy the parts individually if I want Mil-Spec. The threading on AR15 buffer tubes is standardized, so are the AR10's also? Any suggestions on a tube, spring, buffer combo to work with a collapsible stock? Can I use my existing spring and buffer?

For the 308 AR, there are 2 general configurations: Armalite and DPMS. Although some parts are interchangeable, and I don't know which ones, and my questions to the companies have been that they only guarantee THEIR parts will fit on THEIR guns. There may be a few smaller companies that have their own proprietary guns, but most will interchange with either Armalite or DPMS: good luck figuring out which. Hope this helps, and not add to the confusion.

Quentin 02-17-2012 01:24 PM

Off the top of my head I'd guess that DPMS and AR-10 tubes would interchange and you'd think they'd be the same thread size as the AR-15. Dumb not to be but of course find out for sure, we see dumb things all the time.

mjkeat 02-17-2012 02:05 PM

The threads and diameter of the portion that is threaded is the same. Before the release of VLTORs A5 guys used their .308 receiver extension on AR15s to get an A2 like buffer system with the ability to still have a collapsible stock.

fsted2a 02-17-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 711462)
Off the top of my head I'd guess that DPMS and AR-10 tubes would interchange and you'd think they'd be the same thread size as the AR-15. Dumb not to be but of course find out for sure, we see dumb things all the time.

Q, I agree. You would think that they would all be interchangeable at least with other 308's, but I guess since there isn't as big a market as for the AR15's, there is no push for standardization. I do know that DPMS and Armalite 308 mags will NOT fit in each others rifles, and their uppers and lowers can't be swapped. I have been told that BM will fit DPMS, but what else goes to what is anybody's guess.