Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Work

K, I know this is probably gonna be a stupid question for most of you but I'm new to this and just wanted to know. . . I recently asked a question about getting a mini14 or an AR and I found a heck of a deal on the AR. . . So my question, I wanted a truck gun that is reliable and efficient. The Bushmaster AR I found is a nice gun. Great reviews. But it's the varmint rifle. 24" Barrel. Is there a way to cut the barrel down without affecting accuracy or messing the rifle up all together.? I want it no longer than 18".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Liked 948 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

It's a good question, and not easy to answer. Taking 6" off the end will have a huge effect on timing and the gas impulse. Opens the door for short stroking so you may have to open up the gas port however the Bushmaster may already be overgassed. Too many unanswered questions but the bottom line - this could be a nightmare, I'd get the right length barrel in the first place.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Ouch, thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Liked 948 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

So what is your price range? For a truck gun you'd probably want light weight and no longer than 16". In that case that would be 8" off the BM which probably also has a heavy barrel. Let someone else buy that fat pig! Probably why it's cheap.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

nothing to see....move along...move along.....

Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Grant at G&R Tactical has S&W Sports for $599. They are out of stock at the moment but you can find them elsewhere. I've really been thinking one would make a nice throw around type AR.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."