Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Weigh in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Wow 8.8# no optics? What profile is that barrel Jäger?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Sorry AgentTikki, what do you mean by profile of barrel? I do not mind the 8.8 pounds of the rifle. The rifle feels very light and flexible to me. It is only .3 kilos heavier then the HK, but not "barrel heavy in the front" like the HK. Plus, I have the full length railing. Visit Hera-arms.com for more specifics on the rifle and parts. The 15th Dynamic comes in more tactical sizes per the interactive AR builder on the site, but that does not meet all my needs from the rifle. I will hunt with it, compete, shoot long distance and for home defense. My setup meets all these goals.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #43

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Sorry AgentTikki, what do you mean by profile of barrel? I do not mind the 8.8 pounds of the rifle. The rifle feels very light and flexible to me. It is only .3 kilos heavier then the HK, but not "barrel heavy in the front" like the HK. Plus, I have the full length railing. Visit Hera-arms.com for more specifics on the rifle and parts. The 15th Dynamic comes in more tactical sizes per the interactive AR builder on the site, but that does not meet all my needs from the rifle. I will hunt with it, compete, shoot long distance and for home defense. My setup meets all these goals.
How big is the diameter of the barrel is what he is asking ,

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am WAY huge on weight, but I also believe that if you are using the weight you have properly its an ok bit to have.

my current AR was built as a multipurpose design and I have a quick release scope and a relatively quick release reflective sight as well as iron backups, I have a longer barrel and a longer quadrail(free float) that is actually a staggering 14 inches long. I did that for room to put things on my quad where I needed them at, AFG/bipod/lights etc(I have more than 1 light due to my use of IRNV and have a dedicated light with IR LEDS instead of a filtered light.

I think this was all good justifiable weight for the purpose my rifle was built around. So I think mine which comes in around 8 1/2 mostly empty is an ok design for this use, but the quick response AR I helped my friend build that came in at 6lbs flat was perfect for what he wanted.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #45

for example a pencil (LW lightweight profile) is .625 diameter. 1.5875 cm.

a medium profile is around .750" or 1.905 cm.

a bull barrel heavy provile is .936" or 2.37744 cm.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
How short can you go legally? Barrel and OAL length?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sorry Tikki, I could not find my tape measure. My inlaws probably have it. I will get that info to you sometime this week. My rifle has to be at least 90cm. My stick goes to 94 cm with tactical stock fully extended. With a competition license, as long as you have a stock, I believe you will be ok. No AR pistols. I could buy the short M4 version with a comp license. Look at oberlandarms.com for an idea on how small we can go. Also look at Hera Arms AR builder for various uppers and lowers combination (hera-arms.com).

Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #48

Dude, get your license. Then build your self a nice lw 12.5 upper for the house. You will see a huge difference in a short lightweight under 6 pound carbine, especially if you're gonna use it for home defence.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Believe me, I am thinking about it. It is offered only a few times a year, and I have to have time. The instructor keeps bugging me about it. It is only for a few days, and I do have about a month of use or lose leave. To keep your license, you have to shoot 18 times a year. Does not matter how many rounds or what caliber. This is documented and signed by the range for proof. Oh, CZ makes a nice "black rifle" tactical AK I was eyeing....real nice.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The barrel is .75 inches diameter.