ar vs ak - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar vs ak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I choose the AR, for modularity and ease of working on. The AK is a simple rugged design, but since it is riveted and pressed together, and uses friction pins tha trequire a hydraulic press, I find it harder to do long term, large scale maintenence on. Ergonomics are also better on an AR for easier mag changes, weak hand use, etc.

ARs will take a lot more abuse than a lot of folks give them credit for if they are put together right with quality parts.

An AK in the right hands is a very capable weapon. Training can overcoma a lot of the ergonomic limitations. Mag changes can be very fast if you use a lot of the Russian techniques. A lot of the end users in third world countries justs don't gt the same level of training that the Russians and other European military branches do. If you are an AK fan and want to learn how to maximize your use of the rifle check out some of the videos out there by Travis Haley, and Sonny Puzikas.
So true about the AR , I have heard the stories about how you must keep a AR clean to keep it running , blah blah blah , BS . We ran some where between 6000-8000 documented rounds and had no issues other than a few FT fires from hard primers with some PMC ammo , never cleaned in any of that time except for the initial cleaning and lubrication before we started the process, We lubed with Mobil one synthetic every outing and always come home with a big smile of another hard day without any issues . We ran steel , cased, and brass, some mixed together mags of soft points , HP,s FMJs and varmit tips.
Yes it looked like a train wreck inside the chamber and the Lower but it never stopped , we finally gave up when ammo got short / expensive and I cleaned it up since it was going to sit for who knows how long . Gotta give the AR credit it went further than I thought it would ever go without getting cleaned up.
I would never trade in my AR for a AK , Just buy a quality gun and it will run longer than most of us will ever live to talk about it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 04-16-2013 at 05:14 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post

So true about the AR , I have heard the stories about how you must keep a AR clean to keep it running , blah blah blah , BS . We ran some where between 6000-8000 documented rounds and had no issues other than a few FT fires from hard primers with some PMC ammo , never cleaned in any of that time except for the initial cleaning and lubrication before we started the process, We lubed with Mobil one synthetic every outing and always come home with a big smile of another hard day without any issues . We ran steel , cased, and brass, some mixed together mags of soft points , HP,s FMJs and varmit tips.
Yes it looked like a train wreck inside the chamber and the Lower but it never stopped , we finally gave up when ammo got short / expensive and I cleaned it up since it was going to sit for who knows how long . Gotta give the AR credit it went further than I thought it would ever go without getting cleaned up.
I would never trade in my AR for a AK , Just buy a quality gun and it will run longer than most of us will ever live to talk about it
That's one of the best posts I've read on here for sure!! proves theres no reliability question's with quality AR'S

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Keep posting

Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #24

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Maybe this will make up your mind:

http://youtu.be/CqRwx4wtmms

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #25

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15king View Post
The us army has a m4 that's just as good as a ak they tested it the us dusant want to use a none us gun
Don't want to use a non US gun????
M9=Beretta 92 from Italy
M240 and M249 = FN Minimi and MAG from Belgium
AT4 and Carl Gustav = from Sweden
Glocks that some operators use= Austria
Mk.17 and 18= the SCAR rifles = Belgium
I'm pretty sure most of the firearms in the U.S. military originate in other countries. :-P

Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #26

Liked 2216 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertFox View Post
Don't want to use a non US gun????
M9=Beretta 92 from Italy
M240 and M249 = FN Minimi and MAG from Belgium
AT4 and Carl Gustav = from Sweden
Glocks that some operators use= Austria
Mk.17 and 18= the SCAR rifles = Belgium
I'm pretty sure most of the firearms in the U.S. military originate in other countries. :-P
They may have originated elsewhere but as part of the contracts each has a US factory.

Beretta in Md
Glock in Georgia
Etc
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #27

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

They may have originated elsewhere but as part of the contracts each has a US factory.

Beretta in Md
Glock in Georgia
Etc
Well played. Well played indeed...................... :-)

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5826 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

And if the army decided they wanted a Tibetan design, they'd just get a plant built here.

"Buy American" was never a consideration in rejecting the AK, HK or FAL designs.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2864 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

I own neither, so don't go by what I say, but since you asked, here goes.

In the U.S. I'd absolutely choose the AR platform, everywhere else AK.

These platforms were built during different eras and by people from different cultures.

The AR-15 was designed and built, in and for the defense of a free people, where individuals are valued. The AK-47 was designed and built by a communist indoctrinated population that valued the preservation of the state.

AR parts are designed with tighter tolerances for higher performance by the individual shooter. AK parts were designed for mass, inexpensive production for the defense of the state by the masses.

They both work and are the benchmarks for assault weapons, semi-auto sporting arms (wahatever).

If you want to shoot some guys eye out, pick the AR-15, if you just want to blow holes in him choose the AK-47.

My $.02.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

People Like This 
Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
My $.02.
Your two pennies sum it up pretty well, IMO. Good points throughout.