ar vs ak - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

ar vs ak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

both have their own strengths and weakness'. personally i would choose the AR over an AK, simply because i have owned a few over the years, and it's what i have now. i just have more experiance with the AR platform over the AK.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd chose the ar I have 100 dam mags for it I love ars i always had a ar in my home

Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You have to consider what situation you are in to answer this. If it came down to shtf situation there is no good answer (I own both) in America you might as well choose an AR because the more likely you are to come across other ar platforms and ammo to scavenge plus the ability to chamber multiple calibers. From a global perspective thought I would unquestionably choose the ak-47 but I may also be hard pressed to take one domestically as well. From building up both I have found the ak-47 to be a vastly simpler firearm and I know that I can drag it through any environment not clean it and it will go pew pew pew flawlessly all the time ( not that the ar platform hasn't improved over time it just can't compete with father Kalashnikov in the reliability department.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The us army has a m4 that's just as good as a ak they tested it the us dusant want to use a none us gun

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No harm

Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #16

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

image-3126905269.jpg

I own both...
AR for me

Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like many asked this question so i just bought both. I've found this to be the solution.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #18

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy
I like many asked this question so i just bought both. I've found this to be the solution.
It is the solution!!

Trust me, you will find out which one is for you. I worked so hard to add this AK to my collection, and now I'm not even sure I want it. Lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #19

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15king View Post
Which is beter in you're own opin
They really are two completely different platforms. Sure they are used in similar situations but they where designed using two different mind sets.
The AR will be more accurate but it's fit tighter and cant take the abuse an AK can.
The AK was made to eat ammo no matter the situation. But with a sloppier fit somes a loss in accuracy.
The things they have in common is their situational uses. Both are versatile in that they can be used up close and over a reasonable distance. The Ar's 5.56 round is a little better over longer distances but out to say....150 yards they both compare pretty close.
The thing both have most in common to me is the idea to their design. Both are pretty simple so pretty much everyone can operate either fairly easy. But the AK was designed so that anyone including some illiterate commie farmer that had first cousins as parents could understand it's components. The AR is also pretty simply designed but it's modular design seems more for the ability to change components quickly.

If your looking at a mil spec AR then they will be really reliable. It's when you get into the uber high end target models that the tighter fit can be an issue with reliability. This can be an issue with some of the U.S. made AK clones but they are not near as pevilent.

An AR seems to make more sense mainly for the idea that ammo can be more available in a poo fan situation because our military uses it. My opinion is 7.62x39 is about as available as 22lr in non crazy times (like now).

As for me if I had to head for the hills with just one rifle then I'd take my SKS. It's as reliable than my M70 and more accurate. THe Tapco stock allows it to get smaller and mine is a M model that takes AK mags. So it makes sense to me to mark that as my go to the end is near gun.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #20

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

I choose the AR, for modularity and ease of working on. The AK is a simple rugged design, but since it is riveted and pressed together, and uses friction pins tha trequire a hydraulic press, I find it harder to do long term, large scale maintenence on. Ergonomics are also better on an AR for easier mag changes, weak hand use, etc.

ARs will take a lot more abuse than a lot of folks give them credit for if they are put together right with quality parts.

An AK in the right hands is a very capable weapon. Training can overcoma a lot of the ergonomic limitations. Mag changes can be very fast if you use a lot of the Russian techniques. A lot of the end users in third world countries justs don't gt the same level of training that the Russians and other European military branches do. If you are an AK fan and want to learn how to maximize your use of the rifle check out some of the videos out there by Travis Haley, and Sonny Puzikas.
People Like This 

Newest Threads