AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper

I am working on building my first AR15 upper. I have a CMMG upper and will be mounting a Daniel Defense Lite rail on it. The Daniel Defense barrel nut does not thread onto the upper easily by hand. It goes on easily for the first 3-4 threads, and then gets pretty tight. I can't get it on any further by hand. I don't have the proprietary DD wrench yet, so I'm not sure how far it would go on with the help of a wrench. I should have the wrench in the next few days.

This is without the rail or barrel in place - just test fitting the nut by itself. Threads on the upper and the nut look fine. I am wondering if this is normal, or perhaps did the anodizing on the upper go on a little thick?

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #2

Just a guess, but it could be some kind of lock nut to keep it from rattling off while shooting.

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #3

Default You might try this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I am working on building my first AR15 upper. I have a CMMG upper and will be mounting a Daniel Defense Lite rail on it. The Daniel Defense barrel nut does not thread onto the upper easily by hand. It goes on easily for the first 3-4 threads, and then gets pretty tight. I can't get it on any further by hand. I don't have the proprietary DD wrench yet, so I'm not sure how far it would go on with the help of a wrench. I should have the wrench in the next few days.

This is without the rail or barrel in place - just test fitting the nut by itself. Threads on the upper and the nut look fine. I am wondering if this is normal, or perhaps did the anodizing on the upper go on a little thick?
Can you give it a try BACKWARDS? If it won't thread at all, that would tell me it's probably designed to lock on when installed, preventing loosening of the nut during use. From what you wrote, it sounds like a design feature and not a bug.

Good luck with it! Keep us up to date! Might add pictures as well for future reference by others!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
Can you give it a try BACKWARDS? If it won't thread at all, that would tell me it's probably designed to lock on when installed, preventing loosening of the nut during use. From what you wrote, it sounds like a design feature and not a bug.

Good luck with it! Keep us up to date! Might add pictures as well for future reference by others!
No, the barrel nut isn't threaded all the way through, so I can't try it backwards.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation