Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-upper-build-question-dd-barrel-nut-hard-thread-upper-14151/)

Cnynrat 05-26-2009 12:15 AM

AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper

I am working on building my first AR15 upper. I have a CMMG upper and will be mounting a Daniel Defense Lite rail on it. The Daniel Defense barrel nut does not thread onto the upper easily by hand. It goes on easily for the first 3-4 threads, and then gets pretty tight. I can't get it on any further by hand. I don't have the proprietary DD wrench yet, so I'm not sure how far it would go on with the help of a wrench. I should have the wrench in the next few days.

This is without the rail or barrel in place - just test fitting the nut by itself. Threads on the upper and the nut look fine. I am wondering if this is normal, or perhaps did the anodizing on the upper go on a little thick?

FCross7 05-26-2009 01:00 AM

Just a guess, but it could be some kind of lock nut to keep it from rattling off while shooting.

indy_kid 05-26-2009 04:47 PM

You might try this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnynrat (Post 109194)
I am working on building my first AR15 upper. I have a CMMG upper and will be mounting a Daniel Defense Lite rail on it. The Daniel Defense barrel nut does not thread onto the upper easily by hand. It goes on easily for the first 3-4 threads, and then gets pretty tight. I can't get it on any further by hand. I don't have the proprietary DD wrench yet, so I'm not sure how far it would go on with the help of a wrench. I should have the wrench in the next few days.

This is without the rail or barrel in place - just test fitting the nut by itself. Threads on the upper and the nut look fine. I am wondering if this is normal, or perhaps did the anodizing on the upper go on a little thick?

Can you give it a try BACKWARDS? If it won't thread at all, that would tell me it's probably designed to lock on when installed, preventing loosening of the nut during use. From what you wrote, it sounds like a design feature and not a bug.

Good luck with it! Keep us up to date! Might add pictures as well for future reference by others!

Cnynrat 05-27-2009 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy_kid (Post 109388)
Can you give it a try BACKWARDS? If it won't thread at all, that would tell me it's probably designed to lock on when installed, preventing loosening of the nut during use. From what you wrote, it sounds like a design feature and not a bug.

Good luck with it! Keep us up to date! Might add pictures as well for future reference by others!

No, the barrel nut isn't threaded all the way through, so I can't try it backwards.