Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   ar upper?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-upper-18784/)

CaseyChadwell 10-02-2009 08:20 PM

ar upper??

I am a pretty new member, and only joined this sight because I wanted to bash a weapon manufacturer. I have since ate my words about that company and they have made the problem right.

Anyway, I am looking to trade my Olympic Arms 16 inch bull barrel upper with 4-16X scope for a flattop m4 upper. I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

If you know someone that may want to make that trade let me know with a pm or email me at caseychadwell@aol.com

Thanks guys and gals.

Txhillbilly 10-03-2009 01:58 AM

I take it you already have a flat top receiver on your 16" bull barrel setup. Why not just buy the barrel you are wanting and switch them out,it isn't hard to do and you might want to use the bull barrel in the future.

FCross7 10-03-2009 02:07 AM

I assume by M4 upper you just mean a 16" with A2 handguards? If that is the case, why?

-Fred

CaseyChadwell 10-03-2009 03:09 AM

Why? Because the bull barrel setup is heavy. Anyone who has read my post on .223 ammo knows that I hunt deer with a .223 and am thinking that I want to try taking a few does with my AR.

I am thinking I really won't ever need the bull barrel if I can find a decent m4 upper, or even a 20 inch upper. The bull barrel is heavy and but accurate. I had a Bushmaster that was a 16 inch barrel with a carry handle and it was more accurate than I was. I d getting rid of it, but at that time, times were hard and I needed to feed the kids.

I was just hoping someone might be able to help me out. Sorry if some of you think I am crazy.

FCross7 10-03-2009 03:31 AM

I can totally understand the weight thing, I've got a DPMS LR-308 that has an 18" bull barrel and the thing weighs about 13 pounds with a 4 round mag. As far as the trade goes, you could have a hard time finding someone to make it. I'm going to have to agree with Txhillbilly and say either switch out the barrel, or just buy another upper. I did a quick search on gunbroker and here are a few that I found for $300 and under:

$250.00- AR-15 Upper Wilson DTI ar15 5.56 223 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

$300.00- AR-15 M4 UPPER 5.56 AR15 M16 M-16 16'' : for AR-15 at GunBroker.com

$300.00- AR-15 16'' M4 UPPER AR15 M16 CARBINE : for AR-15 at GunBroker.com

$273.01- NEW 1x7 AR15 M4 16" 5.56 FlatTop Upper AR-15 : for AR-15 at GunBroker.com

That's just on the first page, there's tons of them on there and you can get some really nice ones depending one what you wanna spend. If you end up getting another upper, one thing I would recommend doing is getting a free-floated front hand guard to go with it.

Hope this helps.

-Fred

FCross7 10-03-2009 03:40 AM

And if you haven't already, you should drop by the Introductions section a let everyone here know a little about yourself.

-Fred

CaseyChadwell 10-03-2009 04:55 AM

FCross7,

If I decide to go with the barrel and hand guard, could you or someone else walk me through the process of changing them out? I was in the Army, but they didn't ever teach us about changing barrels. My bull barrel has a aluminum hand guard that looks like it take a spud wrench. It that so?

I will be posting on the introduction part as soon as I finish posting this. Thanks for all the help so far.

FCross7 10-03-2009 05:04 AM

Brownells has a great video guide on all the different parts of assembling an AR-15. You would just have to watch the parts on the free float hand guards, and the part on barrels, then just reverse the process to get them off. And as far as the wrench goes, I've never taken off a free float hand guard so I'm not sure on that one, I believe there is a special wrench for it but don't quote me on it. If so it'll show you in the video. Here's the link:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR_15_Video

For some reason Brownells site is down right now, you may have to wait till in the morning to check it out. you can give it a try but I couldn't get it to come up.

-Fred

CaseyChadwell 10-03-2009 05:05 AM

Thank you very much.

FCross7 10-03-2009 05:11 AM

No problem. Hope you get it set up in a way that suits you. That's the great thing about the platform, there are about a million and a half ways to set up a rifle, so you can always make it exactly what you want it to be.

-Fred