Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Triggers, what's your preference ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AR Triggers, what's your preference ?

As I stated in a different post I currently have two AR's, one a 16" Bushmaster M4 ORC and a DPMS Panther Bull 20.

I have a JP Enterprises Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer & Springs in my Bushmaster. This trigger is super crisp but a bit heavier than I would like at 4 pounds. According to the instructions that came with the Trigger JP recommends between 1/2 turn to 1 turn of engagement. I set mine up with 1 turn of engagement and as stated it is super crisp, but a bit heavier than I like.

More to the point I have the same JP Enterprises Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer & Springs for my DPMS Panther Bull 20, but have not installed it as yet (actually have not taken it out of the package yet).

I read a lot of comments about the Rock River Arms 2 Stage Triggers, especially the tuned version from White Oak Armament. My question is is a Tuned Rock River Arms 2 Stage Trigger get me a better feeling trigger than what I have now? The main uses for this DPMS Panther Bull 20 will be shooting Prairie Dogs and some Coyote Hunting.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't usually recommend a trigger lighter than 4 lbs for most folks out there, UNLESS you really know what you are doing. For the majority of folks, anything lighter is an invitation for disaster. But if you feel you need to go lighter than a 4 lb break, I would highly recommend checking out the 3lb trigger from Bill Springfield.

Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net

RRA 2 stage triggers are fine, but Bill Sprinfield, as well as White Oak, routinely take them to the next level, and increase their reliability. If either of the guns you are thinking of putting them in will see heavy use, I do not recommend going to a 2 stage, as you'd be better off to stay with a service trigger with a trigger job.

Slo

Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Some people like other triggers in their guns,but the only trigger I will put in any of my AR's is the RRA 2 stage NM. I've heard great things about Mr. Springfield's work along with White Oak,but have just never had the need for anything more than the RRA out of the box in mine.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 AM   #4

Liked 223 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in SD View Post
I have a JP Enterprises Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer & Springs in my Bushmaster. This trigger is super crisp but a bit heavier than I would like at 4 pounds.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry
You want the #JPS3.5 reduced power (yellow) spring kit. (3.0 - 3.5 lbs)

Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The RRA trigger is a good one for the money in my experience.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

Larry

Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #7

I love my RRA NM trigger, breaks crisp and consistantly.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I decided since I had the JP Enterprises Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer and Springs I would go ahead and install it rather than trying to sell it and buy something different. It turned out really good at a super crisp 3 1/4 pounds. This being the second JP Enterprises Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer & Springs I have installed and tuned it went much better than the first one.

Thanks again guys.

Larry