Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR triggers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default AR triggers

Who has some good input on ar triggers? I would like to get my new long range gun a little crisper than the stock 25lb trigger.

Should I just pay the money for one of the $200 drop ins or are there some good units that can be had for less. I saw a two stage from RRA for $120
or another from Ranier arms for 35 bucks but have a feeling you get what you pay for in this dept..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 432 Times on 232 Posts

Sorry, I can't help you. But I wouldn't want a 25lb trigger either. That's a lot of pull.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #3

I tried the '15 minute trigger job' (google it), it helped, but in no way is a high end trigger. After installing the RRA 2 Stage NM trigger, things are a lot better. There is still a pretty good take-up in the first stage, but the second breaks sharp and consistent. I'd say it's 4 or 5 pounds. With the AR still shooting semi-auto, going too light had me worried about not resetting.

A good friend of mine told me the $300 Geisselle is the kitty's backside, but hard to justify over a good two stage. I have not shot it.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

I got mine from Bill Springfield and I'm very happy with it.

Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I have a RRA with the RRA 2 stage National Match. OMG that is the sweetest AR Trigger I have ever felt. 3.5# take up then 1# with a break as clan as a glass rod.

I am telling you look no further than the RRA National Match 2 stage.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you can afford it get a Timiney. I have a 4# on my AR that breaks like glass and is smooth as silk.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 992 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 440

There are alot of great and expensive triggers out there,but unless you shoot competition or are just that anal about a certain topend brand,it's hard to beat a RRA 2 stage NM trigger.
The average shooter couldn't tell the difference between most of them if they shot 10 rifles with different aftermarket triggers anyways.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #8

Default PACT is the best. I have ownwed em' all and it is crisp, expensive and

fool proof.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
I tried the '15 minute trigger job' (google it), it helped, but in no way is a high end trigger.
You can take the "15 minute trigger job" a step further quite easily. Once you are done with your "15 Minute Trigger Job" do a simple test.

With the Hammer Cocked and the Safety in the On Safe Position pull the trigger taking note of how much movement there is from the trigger being AT REST until it contacts the safety. A simple set screw will eliminate 90% of this pertravel and provide for a much, much better feeling trigger.

Simply remove the grip (and grip screw) and insert a 1/4" x 28 TPI 1/4" long set screw in the grip screw hole in the lower receiver. Screw this set screw in (again with the Hammer Cocked and the Safety in the On Safe Position) in until the tail of the trigger is pushed up against the safety. I have run into a few lower receivers in which the grip screw hole did not have threads tapped all the way through into the inside of the lower receiver. This is a simple job to fix with a 1/4" x 28 TPI thread tap and takes about a minute.

JARD Inc. uses a similar set screw to adjust the engagement of their Adjustable Triggers. You can go to the JARD Inc. web site and download their installation instructions for their trigger to see what I am referring to.

Superior Arms also advertises their lower receivers as having a hole to install a set screw to eliminate pre-travel and adjust trigger / hammer engagement. Truth be known all AR Lower Receivers have this hole drilled and tapped it is just that some are not tapped all the way through to the inside of the lower receivers.

This modification may not be for everyone but for someone wanting a better feeling trigger with minimal cost it may be worth a try. It is also easily reversible if the user does not like the feel, just take the set screw back out.

Larry