AR Trigger Pull
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Trigger Pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: San Diego,Originally from Utah. Stationed in California sadly.... Damn Gun Laws.
Default AR Trigger Pull

I'm Curious what type of trigger is optimum for my AR. I'm considering things such as single or double stage, peak pull weight, durability, consistency, and affordability. I've heard things such as "Stay away from the drop in triggers" and "those spring and sear kits aren't worth it". Just trying to get some ideas of what direction to take. The rifle is mainly going to be used for range and target shooting, no competition shooting. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Livin The Dream.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My experience is this is limited to Geisseles. They have all served me well no issues, smooth, buttery with a hint of oak.

I've never had a problem with any of the SSA SSA-E SDC SDE SD3G ones that i've had. If you want a target trigger with about 3.5# pull look for the E (enchanced) versions. I like a good 2 stage trigger for any type of precision work as it make it real easy for you to predict when it will break.

That being said, some of my friends are really good, and get do some amazing things with a milspec trigger even out to 400+ yards.....

I have read a lot of reports of Rock River 2 stage triggers going auto when the age so those are the only ones that I'd shy away from...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Tikki, would it be a good thing to just go with a stock trigger to start, then, since he's buying a plinker, upgrading if he feels it is warranted, rather than trying to jump out with a two or three hundred dollar rig that he may never even need/care to use?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Tikki, would it be a good thing to just go with a stock trigger to start, then, since he's buying a plinker, upgrading if he feels it is warranted, rather than trying to jump out with a two or three hundred dollar rig that he may never even need/care to use?
Its always a good idea to learn the stock trigger!

But I'm unsure of his shooting experience or even how much trigger time he's already got behind his AR. It sounds like he's unhappy with his current setup . It also seems that I really need to re-read my own sig line. I assumed that the OP is not building his first. If he's looking for a dedicated range/target gun, then a modified trigger/aftermarket unit would suit his needs.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #5

Location: San Diego,Originally from Utah. Stationed in California sadly.... Damn Gun Laws.

Tikki, Thank you. That is actually what I was looking for. This is a rifle that I am going to be keeping here in Cali with my cousin since my Match is up in Utah still.
Ben, This is true regarding the plinker. However, I do know that I would like to get into some comp shooting here on Camp Pendleton (Especially after I shot the Division Matches here) with the locally supported Santa Margarita Gun Club. I did some local shoots up in Utah during my 13 yrs spent there. Nothing big though.

Livin The Dream.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #6

Not attempting to question the guru. Merely seeking clarification.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThexDarkxCrow View Post
Tikki, Thank you. That is actually what I was looking for. This is a rifle that I am going to be keeping here in Cali with my cousin since my Match is up in Utah still.
Ben, This is true regarding the plinker. However, I do know that I would like to get into some comp shooting here on Camp Pendleton (Especially after I shot the Division Matches here) with the locally supported Santa Margarita Gun Club. I did some local shoots up in Utah during my 13 yrs spent there. Nothing big though.
K. You're obviously no novice, and mentioning shooting competition would definitely require a better set up.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

The only trigger mod I've done was a drop in Chip McCormic.
It breaks like a glas rod at 3.5lbs.
I put over 10k rounds through this lower and trigger group. Finally replaced the upper with the LMT I'd been wanting but the CM trigger is still going strong.
I'd say the drop ins are reliable.

Tack

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
K. You're obviously no novice, and mentioning shooting competition would definitely require a better set up.
You are quite alright good sir

I've had my fair share with stock triggers and am usually good at adjusting to them but I think it's time to get a trigger that is right for me heh heh.

Livin The Dream.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #10

For precision SSA-E or SDE.

For competition/3G/speed shooting, I don't think there's a better trigger than the SD3G or the S3G.

The "D" in the model name denotes a flat trigger bow. I started out with the traditional curved bow, but then tried out the flat bow. I liked it so much I sold all my old ones and replaced them with flat bows. Its really a personal preference thing so I can't really recommend them, you just gotta try it first.

Again tho, I can't compare them to other tirggers as I have not had any time behind them but I have heard good things about Timney and AR Gold.