AR Trade Question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Trade Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

I know very little about old Colts, But that thing looks filthy in the second pic, You would think that if someone is wanting to sell/trade something they would make an effort to take good pic's as well as clean it up a tad.
Best of luck on your search

Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #12

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

That single auto sear hole sure is intriguing. I seriously doubt it was a factory booboo, they couldn't let that out even though the job was half done. I guess someone bubba'd one side then got the word "you idiot, you can't do that" before drilling the other side...

Anyway, nice to see the pictures but scary to take a chance on it, you'd hate to be explaining to a police officer or BATFE that it came that way. And that the auto sear won't work with just one hole drilled.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Dillinger; 06-04-2011 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Edited out of forum protection as this is in the open....:)

Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Tell him fair trade if he throws in 1200 rounds of .223

maybe start with 2,000 rounds and let him talk you down.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
That single auto sear hole sure is intriguing. I seriously doubt it was a factory booboo.
Dooooooood!! Shhhhhhhhh. Ixnay on the ersay talk in the open forum. We don't need anyone getting any ideas.

JD

Old 06-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #15

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Dooooooood!! Shhhhhhhhh. Ixnay on the ersay talk in the open forum. We don't need anyone getting any ideas.

JD

Whoops! Sorry JD, not trying to do a how-to here...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Whoops! Sorry JD, not trying to do a how-to here...
Thanks brother, I appreciate the understanding.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

mjkeat,

I think you made the right choice at least in my opinion. You can buy a new National Match Rock River Rifle MSRP around $1200 with the NM Stainless Barrel NM Trigger and choice of 1/2-1/2 or 1/4-1/4 Rear Sight Adjustments. If you go to the National Competition at Camp Perry OH. You can get one for less than that. They run specials on NM Rifles there to support the sport. And also you can choose between the fixed rear NM Sight or the New Removable Rear Sight should you ever want to mount a scope on one later.
Regarding the large pin that was mentioned on the right side of the Colt's receiver in the picture that is normal. Colt installed a Receiver Block in those rifles to assure no one could place an auto sear assembly in the receiver. Because unlike most AR-15 receivers which have a lot of metal in front of the take down pin. These Colt receivers do not it is completely open in that area without the block and retaining pin. A person could have possible attempted to drill an auto sear hole in the receiver and install an auto fire control unit in the rifle. With this block they can not. It is a large metal block inside the receiver in front of the take down pin held in place by the large pin you saw on the right side. It was not modified. Came from Colt that way. Info Only!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sniper03, you are 100% correct. There are quite a few of these w/ the pin on the right side and block. After a reading few pages of google links this were a little clearer. The rifle was re barreled and had a new FSB w/ bayo lug installed. There are no rounds through the new barrel but I would have preferred the original barrel. So I'm still on the hunt for a "classic" Colt.

Thanks again everybody. I really appreciate the rapid/informative responses.