AR Trade Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Trade Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default AR Trade Question

I have a local guy offering me this AR15 A3 Sporter National Match Heavy HBar in even trade for my Kimber Tactical II Pro w/ Galco IWB holster and 3 - 8rd mags.

I'm not real educated on these Colts. What do you all think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

whats the pin above the selector on the right hand side?? thats usually where the auto-sear goes but its not coming out the otherside. a pic of the inside of the lower would be helpful.

looks like its been modified for a rdias or auto sear. if so then its not a legal weapon to trade after the nfa parts been removed and will land ya in the pokey. once that extra hole is drilled its considered a machinegun. once the legal mg parts are removed and put in a new host or sold the host lower has to be either destroyed or sent to the new nfa owner.

modifying a colt semi for nfa is a pretty stupid costly thing to do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-03-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

EHH I wouldn't but that's me.. You can build that rifle for a lot less than you can replace that Kimber.

I like ar's but I loove my Kimbers. I guess it depends on how you really feel about it. What kind of shape is the Kimber in? and whats its value prob $8-$1100 ?? Ar value to a builder $6-$900 + acc

Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
whats the pin above the selector on the right hand side?? thats usually where the auto-sear goes but its not coming out the otherside. a pic of the inside of the lower would be helpful.

looks like its been modified for a rdias or auto sear. if so then its not a legal weapon to trade after the nfa parts been removed and will land ya in the pokey. once that extra hole is drilled its considered a machinegun. once the legal mg parts are removed and put in a new host or sold the host lower has to be either destroyed or sent to the new nfa owner.

modifying a colt semi for nfa is a pretty stupid costly thing to do.
Good eye JonM. Ill have to ask him. I definitely don't want to be involved in any male on male poking lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
EHH I wouldn't but that's me.. You can build that rifle for a lot less than you can replace that Kimber.

I like ar's but I loove my Kimbers. I guess it depends on how you really feel about it. What kind of shape is the Kimber in? and whats its value prob $8-$1100 ?? Ar value to a builder $6-$900 + acc

The Kimber is in great shape, it never gets any use.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Fixed rail upper? Fixed ramp front sight? .223 caliber rated unit? Have to free float the hand guard?

Sorry, not for me brother, that is not a trade I would make given several angles.

JD

Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Fixed rail upper? Fixed ramp front sight? .223 caliber rated unit? Have to free float the hand guard?

Sorry, not for me brother, that is not a trade I would make given several angles.

JD
I didnt want to respond to the guy w/o doing a little research and asking questions. I dont know my Colt history very well and didnt want to pass it up to find out it was some rare/desirable model.

Im wanting a SP-1 ish Colt w/ Colt lower and thought this might be close enough. Come to find out its not really close at all.

Thank you all for the advice.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #7

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 979

I would have been tempted too. Something else small, weird to see an older Colt with the Magpul trigger guard...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Check the barrel, my Colt says .223 in the receiver but the Barrel says 5.56.

Mine doesn't have that pin either..............

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

If it was un modified with original trigger guard and without the extra pin hole it would be an even trade value wise as it is a pre94 colt in decent condition. Colts are the only ar15 that have intrinsic value. Colt did not make a lot of the match grade ar15 back then. That is also the first ar to feature a full lengt heavy barrel. You can always spot a pre94 colt by the bayonet lug. Colt stopped using lugs after the awb of 94.

But the drilled reciever and after market trigger guard kinda ruin the value

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-03-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you, everyone. I ended up passing on the offer. I will be honest I was very excited when the guy first contacted me.