AR Tips - Some Tricks of the Trade - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR Tips - Some Tricks of the Trade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Quick tip when installing your forward pivot pin....

To keep detents and springs from flying into oblivion, hold it down with a razor blade.
Then slide the pivot pin into place and allow the detent to pop into the groove of the pivot pin.

Also as added insurance, get a big plastic bag or cardboardbox and do you install inside it...just in case.
You know they make tools for that? A butter knife. Lol.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

i used a snow blower shear pin worked great
Old 10-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
Liked 300 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Default Barrel aligning tip

When you are installing the barrel, the pin on it that goes into the slot in the upper receiver will have a little play in it. If you don't have a way to hold it centered, when you tighten the barrel nut, it will go to the shooters left a tiny bit, just enough to put the shooters sights about 2 1/2 to 3 inches off at 35 yards when he is trying to zero. To keep this from happening, the bigger companies have a high dollar alignment tool to hold the barrel centered while the nut is torqued down. My solution is to put a toothpick on each side of the pin, then snip it off before i tighten the barrel nut. It isn't perfect, but it keeps the front sight post reasonably in alignment. Nowadays with more and more AR's using a freefloat hand guard with the rail on top, that isn't so much of an issue anymore, but I thought I would share the tip with anyone using old style front sight post.
"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Seargent_York Likes This