AR Tiers - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Tiers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 982

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
And damn, thx fer the blast from the past Q, I haven't seen that chart or Technique's avatar in a while.....
No problem, AT! In fact here's the entire thread, a good read even today.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=232297

I'm glad it's still possible to view the old chart and this time I saved the two JPGs to my hard disk so I'd have it local if this link breaks.

This chart was dated 8/2009 and I'd like a newer version but then it's not bad to still see Charles Daly and Sabre Defence included. Would be nice to add Spikes and PSA, in fact I think I'll just enter the data into Excell and do just that, for my personal use since Rob rightfully doesn't want altered copies out there.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #12

Wow, the Chart sure is a thread killer isn't it?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #13

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Wow, the Chart sure is a thread killer isn't it?
Usually is, right? When someone says 'oh yeah? Prove it!!' and then you do, what can they do?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #14

Actually I'm a little surprised. Very often linking the Chart dredges up a lot of bottom feeders screaming their ultracheap M4gery is better than a Colt or BCM. Nothing wrong with buying something like that if that's all you need but a little more budget goes a long way if you want quality.

______

Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Actually I'm a little surprised. Very often linking the Chart dredges up a lot of bottom feeders screaming their ultracheap M4gery is better than a Colt or BCM.
Well, now that you have bumped the thread back to life, I'm sure we'll have an outbreak of Trolls defending certain items.
I have absolutely no issue with folks buying what they can afford, because that's just life. And there may be some components that are comparable, but I'd still rather not get involved in trash talking or attempting to say X=Y, when it doesn't.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Are you trying to say my olympic isn't just as good as a colt?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Seems like after reading the chart the best thing to do is decide what you really need for your intended use and go from there.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
Seems like after reading the chart the best thing to do is decide what you really need for your intended use and go from there.
And we have a winner. Buy the best you can, and have fun with it. I know I don't have a Noveske, and am content with that. Nor am I willing to attempt to compare what I have to what others have.
If the user/owner finds it suitable for their needs and purposes, then it's what they should have gotten. If not? Well...don't cry that it doesn't live up to what you wanted if you were warned before hand.
(Generic 'you', not you in particular. Don't mean nor intend to offend.)

Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
True, and remember the Chart is all about comparting M4geries, not other barrel profiles and other purpose ARs like varmint, target and plinkers. It's for the serious user who needs a reliable M4 style AR. That's why it was hosted on a site with a large population of active military and LE.

Often people who don't need a serious AR are upset seeing their choice coming up short on the chart but don't realize the Chart really isn't for them, it's to help the person who wants a better M4 and is willing to pay for it. A lot of the anger is from both sides when the question comes up "which AR should I buy..."

______

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #20

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Would I love a Colt? Absolutely. Can I justify it for my uses/budget? Not right now, so maybe for my next one.