AR Tiers - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Tiers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,427
Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMjUnKiE
If you like your AR and it does what you want it to do. Who really gives a ****. Have fun and screw all the , better than your rifle bs.
Can we just get along.
I agree. The problem lies in the fact that some here (well one here) insists that all parts are the same in quality of materials and machining.
__________________
MikeJK is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Maybe that's what we should be asking everyone who believes all parts are the same, DO YOU mix and match between your ARs - or do you keep the parts separated?
I told you in a previous thread I swapped out my Bushmaster BCG into my Colt 6920, and visa verse. I shot both all afternoon without a issue. After I cleaned both weapons I completely forgot about what I had done. So the answer to your question is yes. If I went in my safe as I type this, my Bushmaster has my Colt BCG in it, and visa verse. I supposed I should change them back. Perhaps you could give me a reason that would motivate me enough to go through the trouble?
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,748
Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Dog, the thing is for about the same money today you can get a BCM or Bushamster. Why get the rodent when you can have the lion! I agree a few years back the prices were much different which was the main reason I went midchart for ArmaLite. Today I wouldn't buy midchart when the same money can get more.

I think it's important to point this out when someone new asks for advice, my conscience won't let me jump on the bandwagon and say "great rifle" when someone asks about a DPMS at their LGS for $800.

BTW, as far as parkerizing under the FSB, well the military demands it for a reason. I think the jungles of Vietnam taught them someting about rust. Do we need it for our ARs? Probably not but still, it is a way to cut corners. Colt, BCM, DD, LMT and others think it's important enough to do. Others don't. The old chart shows who dots all the "i" and who doesn't. Good information I'd say.
Add it to the list , PSA barrels are parkerized under the FSB , I know this because I just had mine off
__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #114
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
... And if and or when a part breaks, the beauty of the AR platform is that they can go and get a quality part to replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Or any part for that matter. This is what makes this whole thing about "which parts are better" so silly...
Bill, as illustrated above you keep saying all parts are the same, that they all come from the same places.

So... regarding the your opinion of quality of parts please give a simple short answer please. With all your ARs, do you keep the parts separated between rifles or mix and match when you clean, etc.? Would you exchange parts with a buddy who has a Vulcan? Since magazines are parts too, have you seen a difference in quality there? Do you mark your magazines when taking classes or pick up just any ol' magazines? After all you say parts are parts.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #115
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
One of the new trends in manufacturing is process control to eliminate the need for testing. If processes are locked down and documented, unless called for by specification tests like MP are largely viewed as unnecessary. Now, that being said, even a process that is considered "6 sigma" has a failure rate of 3 parts per million. That's acceptable, unless your rifle is one of the three. I suspect that is the reason the Military specifies MP testing.

Now, I'm not arguing the merits of one rifle over the other, I'm just throwing out the info. I work for a large manufacturing company, so I know the current trend in manufacturing is process control to eliminate non "value added" activities. Testing costs money. If you can eliminate the NEED for it, you save yourself, and ultimately the customer, money. That's not necessarily cutting a corner.

Understand, my comments are geared SOLELY towards the testing portion of this argument.
This is the same reason why Bell Helicopter, as well as others employ Copy Exact. It eliminates all unnecessary testing by tightly regulating manufacturing processes. Right down to the machine they were made on. A lot of these tests are not only becoming expensive, but they are also unnecessary, and quickly becoming obsolete.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #116
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Bill, as illustrated above you keep saying all parts are the same, that they all come from the same places.

So... regarding the your opinion of quality of parts please give a simple short answer please. With all your ARs, do you keep the parts separated between rifles or mix and match when you clean, etc.? Would you exchange parts with a buddy who has a Vulcan? Since magazines are parts too, have you seen a difference in quality there? Do you mark your magazines when taking classes or pick up just any ol' magazines? After all you say parts are parts.
I just told you that. I don't shoot "all of my AR-15's" at once, so why would I clean them all together? You are trying to establish some silly straw question in yet another effort to try to come in at a 45 degree angle to disprove what you know as well as I do to be fact. I also told you I've never seen a Vulcan, let alone have a "buddy" with one.

Instead of your silly nonsense, why don't you tell me and everyone else, how you know for a fact there is such a marked difference in quality? You know for example CMT sells bolts to both Stag and Colt, so how can one be "better" than the other?

I know, and you know that you cannot answer that question. So instead you try to detour what you can't prove, because you simply don't know, by asking stupid questions that not one person would ever be in a position to do. All in order to do what you, and the rest who continually regurgitate this crap always do, skirt the issue with nonsense.

And no, I don't "mark my magazines". If I have a bad one, I simply throw it out. Magazines are not "all the same". Some are polymer, some are Stainless Steel, and some are Aluminum. You are really reaching. I expect that kind of nonsense from MJ, but again I thought you were old enough to know better. I guess I was wrong.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #117
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,181
Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Add it to the list , PSA barrels are parkerized under the FSB , I know this because I just had mine off
I'm actually considering the mock Dissipator for 609 as my next build.
__________________

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #118
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I just told you that. I don't shoot "all of my AR-15's" at once, so why would I clean them all together? You are trying to establish some silly straw question in yet another effort to try to come in at a 45 degree angle to disprove what you know as well as I do to be fact. I also told you I've never seen a Vulcan, let alone have a "buddy" with one.

Instead of your silly nonsense, why don't you tell me and everyone else, how you know for a fact there is such a marked difference in quality? You know for example CMT sells bolts to both Stag and Colt, so how can one be "better" than the other?

I know, and you know that you cannot answer that question. So instead you try to detour what you can't prove, because you simply don't know, by asking stupid questions that not one person would ever be in a position to do. All in order to do what you, and the rest who continually regurgitate this crap always do, skirt the issue with nonsense.

And no, I don't "mark my magazines". If I have a bad one, I simply throw it out. Magazines are not "all the same". Some are polymer, some are Stainless Steel, and some are Aluminum. You are really reaching. I expect that kind of nonsense from MJ, but again I thought you were old enough to know better. I guess I was wrong.
Well for you that was pretty short.

And I didn't see your earlier reply until after posting a second.

I would get that crap out of my Colt in the safe though! But then we'll never agree.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #119
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,427
Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

I will never understand how the guy who doesn't shoot, insists all parts are the same regardless of materials or workmanship, and doesn't understand the importance of proper weapon familiarization even attempts to pretend he knows anything about anything.

Q, I laughed my ass off when you asked bill if he marked his mags for classes. LOL

__________________
MikeJK is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #120
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Todd_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Yeah PSA and Spikes , You know I was just jokin though , This has been a good read .
Both are great manufacturers.

They have established themselves, spikes more so I would say, but I went with PSA personally, one of their rifle kits, and love it. I went with them based on them having the same specs on their rifles as the top tier. Same materials, same testing, just not as well established and PSA is having issues with their CS. I would even think its a safe bet my rifle would live through a "wanna-be soldier meeting" also known as a carbine class!!
__________________

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Todd_ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes