Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR take down pin replacement (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-take-down-pin-replacement-81900/)

rachilders 01-20-2013 10:17 AM

AR take down pin replacement

I'm new to AR's though not to guns and shooting in general. That being said I now have an M&P-15. I bought it just before the craziness began last month along with a Bushmaster complete upper in a different caliber as a Christmas present for myself. I would like to replace the original take down pins with the quick release type as it should be quicker and less trouble using the QR pins when I want to swap uppers on the gun or clean it. However, I can't figure out how to remove the old pins. I push the pins through until the upper tilts out, but the pins simply stop and lock when they become flush with the inside of the lower receiver. I would suspect there is something in the pin's grove that prevents the pin from coming out but can't figure out where/what it is. Is there a "trick" to removing a pin completely? Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

Gatoragn 01-20-2013 11:31 AM

My Brownells AR15 critical tool pack included one of these:

M16 Pivot Pin Detent Depressor
Click Here to view 'Inst-275 Pivot Pin Depressor.pdf'.

BROWNELLS - AR-15/M16 CRITICAL TOOLS KIT

Made in the U.S.A.
100% Satisfaction. Lifetime Returns.

jjfuller1 01-20-2013 02:11 PM

Well to answer your question yes. There is a small pin in that groove and the spring under it in the lower. It would probly be the easiest for you to get a good set of building instructions for you to get a good visual. Also I can't see why you need to change them out. It really only takes a few seconds to change uppers. I just can't se where it's cost and time effective to switch pins

jjfuller1 01-20-2013 02:14 PM

Also for the rear take down pin you have to loosen and partially take off the stock for complete access to the pin and spring. Look at a few videos of building an AR to see what I mean. Or paper instructions

Quentin 01-20-2013 05:45 PM

I agree with jjfuller1, why bother replacing the original takedown and pivot pins with some gimmicky aftermarket thing some advertisement tells you that you need. The standard pins are as quick release as you'll ever need. And I suspect that you're asking for trouble replacing them if you aren't yet up to speed as to how the pins are retained by their detents.

Are you having trouble removing/installing your upper? It should be a piece of cake.

Quentin 01-20-2013 06:04 PM

The only reason I can see a real use for the KNS style QD pins is on an 80% lower where it's difficult to drill holes for the springs and detents. I did use them for that on mine.

Khromo 01-20-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1101986)
My Brownells AR15 critical tool pack included one of these:

M16 Pivot Pin Detent Depressor
Click Here to view 'Inst-275 Pivot Pin Depressor.pdf'.

BROWNELLS - AR-15/M16 CRITICAL TOOLS KIT

Made in the U.S.A.
100% Satisfaction. Lifetime Returns.

This tool is the best way I've seen to get the old pins out. You could grind your own, or order one at the same time you order replacement pins. You can get the rear/takedown pin out by removing the butt plate and/or stock, but this may not be very practical, especially with a carbine and a staked nut.

If the pins are tight, the extended pins can be a good solution. Some folks don't have the fingernail power to comfortably remove the pins.

An extended takedown pin could interfere with the operation of an ambidextrous safety, so if you're a lefty or practising weak hand operation take this into consideration.

Lots of opinions and different experiences to sort through, but in the end your opinion is the one that matters the most to you.

Good luck, have fun, and don't force anything!

Quentin 01-20-2013 06:28 PM

The pins can be tight on a new lower but loosen up after a few range sessions and cleanings. A drop of oil in each pin groove helps a lot too. All my lowers loosened up to where my thumbs click them out easy. A pen or key, etc. will pop loose a new pin. Soon after a thumb will do the job. Try it repeatedly with no upper for 5 minutes, that should do the trick.

rachilders 01-21-2013 08:06 AM

FWIW, I haven't had any trouble swapping the two uppers but it did take a good push with a small hex key to get the pins loose, at least the first few times I removed/installed the uppers. After working them a bit and adding some oil the pins are easier to loosen now but they still need a push from the opposite side to get the pins moving. It sounds like it may be a bit more trouble than it's worth (at least for now) to replace the pins so I may just see how it goes for a while and decide later.

BTW, Thanks for the replies.

Axxe55 01-21-2013 08:28 AM

i agree with Quenton. mine have become much easier as the more time they are taken apart. i can push mine with ease with just my finger now.