Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR suggestions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-suggestions-21203/)

Kage0113 12-17-2009 10:25 AM

AR suggestions

Well, once you buy one gun, one isn't enough. I am now looking for an AR 15. I've had 4 different brands suggested to me so far. Smith and Wesson M&P, Stag Arms, Rock River, and Bushmaster. I want one with a 5.56 Nato/ .223, not a .22. I have about $1500 to spend, I would like to spend the rest on ammo/quality gun safe. What do you have for suggestions? I think I would be biased to the m&p because I have a .45, and I LOVE IT!

lonyaeger 12-17-2009 01:42 PM

Check out the thread I started called "New to AR. Must have one" and you'll find a lot of good information these guys have shared that they might not want to dredge up again :)

pioneer461 12-17-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kage0113 (Post 200603)
I think I would be biased to the m&p because I have a .45, and I LOVE IT!

Not sure what having a .45 has to do with it, but get the one you want.

By-the-way, if you are going to get a quality safe with your rifle, you will need much more than $1500. :eek:

Kage0113 12-17-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 200769)
Not sure what having a .45 has to do with it, but get the one you want.

By-the-way, if you are going to get a quality safe with your rifle, you will need much more than $1500. :eek:

Sorry, let me clarify. I love the m&p .45, and if they make an AR as good as they do a handgun, then I would be set on that. Also, I have $1500 to spend on the rifle alone, and an amount set aside for the safe.

TXnorton 12-17-2009 08:16 PM

Kage:

Just go buy the AR that you like best. They are all fine choices, and you will find a lot of recommendations here for each manufacturer (did I mention that RRA is the best choice because I have one?). You can get a whole lot pickier when you start looking for your second (or third) AR, but by then you'll have a lot more first hand knowledge.

FCross7 12-18-2009 04:54 AM

Before you try to decide what brand you want, decide what features you want, i.e., barrel length, free floated or clam shell hand guard, A1, A2 or a flat top receiver, collapsible or fixed butt stock. These are all much more important when picking a rifle than the brand you choose. Most AR manufacturers are putting out a pretty good product. I would find out what features you want on the rifle, then look around at the different manufacturers and see who has the best price. Or, you could always build your own, this way you'd save money and have the know-how of how the rifle functions. Just my .02

-Fred

DonnyKC 12-18-2009 08:47 PM

i have a smith and wesson M&P 15a and a stag arms model 2 and i love them both. there made very well.. i had a bushmaster in the past and the qaulity was ok. but i feel the s&w and stag are made better.

outlawcustoms 12-19-2009 04:15 AM

I have a RRA and a DPMS like both realy well. DPMS is a good starting platform and you can all ways upgrade parts. If I where you I would build one take it slow and it will be more cost effctive