Ar start up - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar start up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I want to build my own but before I sink that kind of money into one I would like to have a complete one that fires so I would know what I need to change to fit my needs. In my experience quality only goes as far as the hands holding the gun.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #12

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dave View Post
I want to build my own but before I sink that kind of money into one I would like to have a complete one that fires so I would know what I need to change to fit my needs. In my experience quality only goes as far as the hands holding the gun.
In that case I'd recommend going to the local range and seeing if they have some you can rent, just to get a feel for what you want.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #13

The colt sp6920 is what made me want an Ar I liked everything about it but I don't like the price tag. Honestly I'm just trying to get away from 1911s and the Ar is what I saw next. But I will head back to the range tonight and try a few others just to get my head wrapped around everything.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
I was going to get a PCF Plum Crazy Firearms C-15 AR-15 Complete Lower and a DSA ZM4 A3 Upper Receiver; 20" NON-Fluted Barrel, M4 Feed Ramps all for around 400 to start with supposed to legit by the reviews I saw
Very cheap build! If you really want a polymer lower New Frontier Armory has one also. What are your intended uses? What ranges will you expect to shoot?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I just skimmed the web and found about 10 on random forums. I know the quality isint as good as most of the higher end ones. I know the upper has a lifetime warranty. It was the fact that I can get a complete Ar to start with for 400 bucks that made me think about it
If Im going to be spending a good amount of money Id do a little more than skim some random forums.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #16

I like the difference in weight alot better with a polymer cause if I need to be quick with it I want to be able to. Then there's the challenge of taking something someone wouldn't put time into and making them want it when I'm done.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

If Im going to be spending a good amount of money Id do a little more than skim some random forums.
Didn't mean to make myself seem lazy lol but I have looked and I just found a really cheap build and was looking for some more opinions on it. Good advise none the less

Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Didn't mean to make myself seem lazy lol but I have looked and I just found a really cheap build and was looking for some more opinions on it. Good advise none the less
Here's something I just came across:

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #19

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
I like the difference in weight alot better with a polymer cause if I need to be quick with it I want to be able to. Then there's the challenge of taking something someone wouldn't put time into and making them want it when I'm done.
j, there's a reason people don't want them if they know what they're doing. There's enough solid builders who can build an AR that will drive tacks at nearly any range and they avoid them for a reason.
Better to avoid losing that money on the front end and building a solid shooter, rather than trying to teach a chicken to be an eagle, and winding up with a turkey.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #20

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
WAIT what? your upper has a 20" barrel.........

the barrel is the heaviest part of your gun, nothing else comes close. I'm gonna guess that on a budget build that 20" barrel is going to be a medium or heavy contour (less machining makes it cheaper) That is gonna be a pig to swing around.

The Polymer lower isn't gonna save you that much weight. I'd guess about 3-5 ounces. Also that weight is going to be behind the center of gravity making your gun even more nose heavy.

BTW that $260 DSA upper doesn't have a BCG, charging handle or rear site. Might want to add that to the list.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking polymer lowers. I am considering a New Frontier Armory poly lower. But it would be for range use. I don't think I'd consider one for defensive or heavy use tho. I'd only be considering one for a light use, lightweight build, like a 14.5" lightweight barrel I'm planning for the wife.