AR for southpaw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR for southpaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR for southpaw

Planning to order a Stag 3L, any ideas, suggestions, advice, rude comments, smart a$$ remarks? On a budget so please don't over do the accessory bit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I hear good things about Stag from a guy I trust.

I always like to know how much someone is planning on spending. It makes it easier to give advice in their price range.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Get some iron sights and shoot it ... a lot! Enjoy

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #4

I'm a southpaw as well, but I didn't get a lefty model. But I did recently purchase a Stag Model 2. About 700 rounds through it so far with no problems.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #5

I shot a right hander (10" barrel and entry stock) last weekend. It was pretty distracting to have the brass bouncing off my ear muffs. I switched to plugs and that was better, but louder. I have found left hand models to be much better for me in bolt rifles and shotguns, no reason not to have a souphpaw ar, right? I'm probably going for a red dot on this instead of iron, my tired eyes don't pick up the iron real well in most cases.
GH

Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhorse View Post
I shot a right hander (10" barrel and entry stock) last weekend. It was pretty distracting to have the brass bouncing off my ear muffs. I switched to plugs and that was better, but louder. I have found left hand models to be much better for me in bolt rifles and shotguns, no reason not to have a souphpaw ar, right? I'm probably going for a red dot on this instead of iron, my tired eyes don't pick up the iron real well in most cases.
GH
I really haven't had any problems with brass hitting me.

It is annoying to shoot a righty bolt action though.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #7

Not sure if it was the short stock, my stance, form whatever. But it was sure as heck hitting the muff on my right ear virtually every shot.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a south paw and I've learned to use just about every firearms platform with proficiency. Except Bolt (especially long) Action. It does take practice, but the AR-15 is one of the easiest I've ever adapted to.

I use an over-sized charging handle latch, an ambi might be nice? But not necessary in the least An ambi mag release might be pretty helpful too, other than that, everything is easily doable for a lefty with a completely right-handed set up.

Just shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot. . . .

To make better use of time and ammo: Load 10 mags with 10 rds/mag, or whatever you

Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I shoot left as well, I've not heard anything but good about Stag. Been thinking about building my next with there lefty in .308. I hunted for years with a right bolt then a right semi auto then purchased a left bolt. I can't say it helped my hunting skill but it was huge when at the range. My next AR will be left hand eject, the ones I own have ambi controls but the ejected brass crosses my line of sight, got use to it over the years but how nice would it be to have that issuue gone.

Go forward in this mission and report back before I spend my hard erned cash.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
My next AR will be left hand eject, the ones I own have ambi controls but the ejected brass crosses my line of sight, got use to it over the years but how nice would it be to have that issuue gone.
Really?!?!? I've never heard of that one? I can't imagine how this would happen, unless you're using a parallax free optic with both eyes open and you are really far back from it, but if you say so. . .