AR Sniper Buttstocks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Sniper Buttstocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Sniper Buttstocks

I'm in the process of ordering parts for a build. I'm torn between the Magpul PRS and the CAA SRS. I would like to hear comments on these. I like the adjustability of the SRS but it's expensive. I've read negatives on both on other sites. But have searched and found no discussions at this forum where I place high value on the opinions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #2

Liked 310 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 383

PRS is nice but heavy. I put one on one of my first varmit builds. Lots of adjustments that never get used much. That stock is now on the shop gun so we can adjust and take customer measurments. 30+ builds later I just use the magpul MOE fixed rifle stock, unless the customer can't be talked out of spending the money. Fits about 90% of shooters with no mods. Put a monopod on it for bench/varmit shooting, and it does everything that's needed.

A tactical/varmit type build is heavy enough without any additional weight, and the PRS is mucho heavy. Youll thank me if you need to carry the rifle any distance.

I have added the removable cheek risers to the MOE rifle stock by routering some slots in the sides. This gives 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" cheek height riser for cheap! Just make sure the charging handle clears before you cut! Really only need this on a very few high scope mounts. Length of pull can be changed with addon butpads. The monopod is pure personal preference, i prefer a rear bag myself. This is usually all the adjustment needed. Price with all this is ~$100...

Note: my personal rifle wears black/silver laminate wood A2 stock, grip and triangle rifle handguards on a national match free float tube. Feels better in very cold, varmit hunt conditions. Boyd's , Ironwood and several others also makes sets now.

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/19.html

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 01-05-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #3

Liked 2304 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 508

A1 and A2 depending on your length of pull. Both work, not heavy, not a lot of moving parts to break. Has a trapped door to put stuff in or add weight if you want. Usually not to hard to come by or very pricey.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:46 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

I've got a prs on my precision ar but that gun is damn heavy and pretty much a bench only gun. Very nice stock but its heavy.

I take it your looking at a dmr role. The 223/556 really doesn't reach out hard enough for a true sniper role. For that role a good fixed power 1-4 or 3-9 optic fits the role just fine and the stock really should be kept lightweight.

I run a bcm middy lightweight bfh carbine with 4x acog a cmc trigger and magpul acs-l stock more than adequate for anything you would need a 556 dmr for. If I need more optic I can toss my 3-9 trijicon accupoint mildot on it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of modifying a low cost stock with cheek risers.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

If you go that way try it it as is before you do any mods.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #7

I've also used the garand/springfield type strap on riser. A couple customers swear by these. Cheap and reversable. I've seen them in black leather. Try SARCO or Numrich...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #8

Liked 2304 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 508

I've found most scope/mount combos don't require a cheek riser at all and line up retry well with a standard stock and a flat top upper. Considering the height of the standard sights, the height of most scopes is going to be pretty close unless you need some really high mount for some super large objective lens that would put the center of the scope higher than where the top of the carry handle would normally be.

Remember that any cheek rest must allow for travel of the charging handle, or you aren't chambering any rounds to send down range.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #9

^^^ True, bear in mind that most of what I build are long range varmit rifles. 50-60mm objectives on large(30-35mm) scope tubes. These Scopes usually need 1/4 - 1/2" of cheek riser. Most tactical type Scopes should mount low enough that no riser is needed.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #10

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

http://m.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-risr-reciprocating-inline-stock-riser
That bad boy is awesome if you want a riser on a Magpul MOE or CTR. It slides back so you can use the charging handle no matter where the stock is set. Only downside, it sits too high for iron sights.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man