AR Sighting Options?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR Sighting Options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Sighting Options?

I currently have an Olympic AR with the carry handle. I have a cheapie 3x9 scope on it with the single screw-in mount that goes in the handle groove. I am thinking of trading mine in for a Stag 8 that has the Midwest flip-up open sights. I want to be able to use the iron sights - but in reality this is a toy gun that I would like to be able to shoot accurately at 200 yards - thus I need a fairly powerful scope to even SEE that far. I have never used an eo-tech or anything similar, and the price for one of those is beyond my budget. What can I do here to have accuracy, be able to see a small bullseye at 200 yards, and possibly still be able to use the iron sights?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am assuming that your AR does not have a removable carry handle...on a flat top rifle you can purchase one of the "Eotech copies" that are commonly found at gun shows now a days, and there might possibly be a magnifier that that mounts in front of the holographic sight, and that flips out of the way when you don't want to use the holo sight and choose to use your flip up iron sights.

But to me, it kind of sounds like you are trying to got one rifle to do the duties of two rifles.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Out to 200 yards you may just want to go with a 4x12x50 on the flat top. IMO the eo-techs are designed more for tactical entry and close quarter combat, although, I may be full of do do on this one. I've been wrong before.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If still being able to use the iron sights is a big concern, then you are really limited on options. What Squirrel_Slayer said about an EOTech clone with a magnifier (I've seen 3x, 4x, 5x, and 7x) is one of your only options. However, a decent inexpensive scope might be your best bet, if you're willing to just forget about the iron sights. Heck, I'll bet you could easily sell the MI flip-ups for $100.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #5

I'll have to look into the "copies". If I go back with the scope route - is there a removable mount that will hold it's zero? Something that attaches with a lever or something, that you can take off and put back on and still be on zero?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
I'll have to look into the "copies". If I go back with the scope route - is there a removable mount that will hold it's zero? Something that attaches with a lever or something, that you can take off and put back on and still be on zero?
The mounts that are good enough to hold zero are pretty pricey. You're talking about LaRue or something equivalent, and that means $200+ for just the mount.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #7

Liked 66 Times on 37 Posts

Here's one. One of the best on the market by LaRue Tactical.http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30
AR Sighting Options? - AR-15 Discussion

Last edited by lonyaeger; 09-10-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #8

That is very nice! The $200 is probably out of my budget though. I'm going to try to attend a gun show today here - maybe I can dig up a used one.
PS - I love your sig line!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #9

Liked 66 Times on 37 Posts

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

You don`t need much magnicafaction to shoot 200 yrds. Watched a friend of mine hit a corn husk at 255 yrds., lazered, with one of the dot scopes. After he did that I hit it with my AR with my scope set on 3X. I personally can stand the dot scopes, but if you can get used to them they do work well.