AR from scratch - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR from scratch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default lower

does anybody know where one might find an original armalite ar15 or a colt m16a2 lower housing? is it crazy to try and find the parts to restore one of these (semi operation of course).

Old 07-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #12

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

For your first, buy the complete upper and build the lower.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Pre-Ban Flat Top Barrel Assembly

A Wide Selection of AR-15 Upper Receivers - ar15pro.com

AR-15 COMPLETE UPPERS

Rock River Arms:

AR-15 Upper Assemblies

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #13

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

If you really want an original ArmaLite or Colt lower receiver from a military rifle almost every one was select fire so very difficult and expensive to own. The price can go well over $10,000. Even one of the very rare early semiauto ArmaLites that were issued would be high priced as a collector item. People who build semiauto replicas use lowers that look like the real thing but never were an automatic weapon. It would be crazy for most to use a lower that has so much value because it was and always will be considered by federal law a "machine gun" even if rebuilt in semiauto form.

The closest semiauto lookalike of a real live M16A2 would be an older Colt AR15 with fixed carry handle. The Nodak lower receivers look a lot like M16A1s.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-10-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
If you really want an original ArmaLite or Colt lower receiver from a military rifle almost every one was select fire so very difficult and expensive to own. The price can go well over $10,000. Even one of the very rare early semiauto ArmaLites that were issued would be high priced as a collector item. People who build semiauto replicas use lowers that look like the real thing but never were an automatic weapon. It would be crazy for most to use a lower that has so much value because it was and always will be considered by federal law a "machine gun" even if rebuilt in semiauto form.

The closest semiauto lookalike of a real live M16A2 would be an older Colt AR15 with fixed carry handle. The Nodak lower receivers look a lot like M16A1s.
I wonder if he can go w/ a lower from a service Colt M4? Ours were safe/semi only.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #15

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I wonder if he can go w/ a lower from a service Colt M4? Ours were safe/semi only.
Say whatttt? Military M4s are supposed to be auto/semi/safe I thought.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #16

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

mjkeat, you'll have to tell us more about those M4s, I never heard of them. I thought they all were semi/3rd burst (or semi/full auto for the M4A1). Was this some kind of training rifle?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Say whatttt? Military M4s are supposed to be auto/semi/safe I thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
mjkeat, you'll have to tell us more about those M4s, I never heard of them. I thought they all were semi/3rd burst (or semi/full auto for the M4A1). Was this some kind of training rifle?
In basic we had m16A4s that were safe/semi/burst. In my regular unti we gad SAWs and 240Bs for full auto supression and even then it was 3-5 round bursts at likely and known targets. Full auto on an M4 makes for a lot of wasted ammo and less accurate shooting.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I looked through almost 2,000 pictures and a handfull of video trying to find a good view of a selecter switch on a M4 in our unit. I couldnt however. I have a few more pics that Ill look over later. Its 2:30am and Im tired.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #19

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You go and get some sleep!
Anyways, I personally don't see the attraction of full auto either, But either way i'm just saying I find it interesting and... abnormal lol

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
You go and get some sleep!
Anyways, I personally don't see the attraction of full auto either, But either way i'm just saying I find it interesting and... abnormal lol
I can tell you in the 4 years I was active an M4 was never fired on burst or full auto. I was a SAW or 240 gunner but did fire M4s for qual, stress shoots and at the ranges and never burst or full auto outside of the belt fed weapons. Ill find a pick I promise. Kinda starting to feel like "that guy". You know the one whos full of ****