AR reliability - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Also, I notice you're from WI... have you looked at BCM? You'll like what you see if you scrutinize the little details. The various ARs out there are NOT built to the same specs even though parts may interchange. A lot of corners can be cut to achieve a certain price point.
I have checked out the BCM website, they would be one I would seriously consider from what I hear of their reputation

Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #12

Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
Thank You, that is kind of the type of answer I am looking for
np

ahem, here's alittle shameless self promotion....

Read my sticky!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Like AT said, the name players pay more attention to detail and use better materials. Look at some of the specs of BCM, that's attention to detail. Look at cheap rifles and compare. Do you need it, you'll have to answer that. But for those who need something that will stand up to hard use it's important.

•BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Mod 4 Charging Handle
•Mid Length Gas System
•M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
•M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
•T-Marked Upper Receivers
•USGI 5.56mm NATO Chambers
•Independently Certified Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel
•Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
•Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish on entire barrel
•Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
•Taper Pinned Front Sight Base
•USGI Government Profile Barrels
•HPT (High Pressure Test, per Milspec) Barrels
•MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected, per Milspec) Barrels
•Bolt machined from Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® steel
•HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
•MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
•Shot Peened Bolt
•Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
•Chrome Lined Gas Key
•Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
•Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners Key
•Staked Per Mil-Spec
•Tool Steel Extractor
•BCM® Extractor Spring
•Black Extractor Insert
•Receivers Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6
•Receivers Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
•BCM® Milspec 7075-T6 Receiver Extension
•USGI Mold M4 Stock Staked M4 Lock Nut
•USGI H Buffer (1 USGI Tungsten, 2 Steel)
•Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard
•Low Shelf for RDIAS installation
•Low Shelf for Accuwedge use
•Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use
•Fire Controls marked SAFE and SEMI
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
np

ahem, here's alittle shameless self promotion....

Read my sticky!
And I'm really glad it is available now! Definitely needed here.

blucoondawg, you can't find a better 15 minutes of good answers to your questions!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with what Quentin has said. The higher end products use a better grade of steel and aluminum for their AR's and they perform a greater degree of quality testing on the end-product to insure that the rifles are built right and have the proper tolerances. This provides a certain degree of comfort for the end user, but as with anything it doesn't necessarily guarantee 100% performance. Things can break and go wrong even in the highest end of the spectrum.

Where does that leave you in your decision making process? Hard to say, that's whay we have so many "Which is best" threads. IMO, stay within the major name brands and look to see who has good to great customer service.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 03-08-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #16

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Ya I was planning to stay with one of the better names, I won't pay 600 for something when I can pay 800-1200 and have something that has proven to be more reliable

Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3285 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

I will agree with Snake and the others. There are several good high quality AR Rifles and for a good one the range will normally be from $850-$1200.
Anyone spending more to think they have a better AR has rocks in their head or more money than they need to keep. I am also partial to Rock River since I have four of them. And love the 2 Stage Trigger that comes standard in most models along with the Rock River Hogue Grip, 6 Position Tactical Stock, Side Sling Swivel, Star Selector and all is standard on most model at no extra cost. There are other good ARs that meet the specs of the Rock River. In my opinion some of the better ARs are Rock River, Stag, Daniels Defense, LMT. All of these mentioned are not mass produced on an assembly line as Smith, Colt, FN and some others. Bottom line they must keep the production line running and sometimes in order to do that settle for parts that "may" not be of the highest quality unlike the manufacturers that individually build a rifle that a single person is accountable for it's quality. These armorers most always take pride in their work. I certainly am not saying the Colts and other rifles are not good rifles since I also have a few of them. But my choice is having ARs that are built at a bench with a little more TLC than the assembly line produced rifle. For example the Rock River ARs are assembled at a bench and all of the rifles as well as the uppers that are sold separately, are literally taken to an outdoor range and test fired before cleaning, lubrication and final shipment. The Complete Uppers sold are fired on slave lowers for the testing prior to being shipped. The warranties on the rifles will also vary. There are a lot of good ARs out there that would serve your purpose. But my advise get a good one and enjoy it. When I buy one I do not plan of selling it or parting with it in the near future. As it was stated it is totally ludicrous to spend over $1200 unless you have the extra cash and want all kinds of fancy frills that can be added on later when you have the money.
Good Luck on your selection and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here to assist you.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #18

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

I spent $700 on an inexpensive DPMS made a couple of enhancements, and have run it through the four day rifle course multiple times.

Has yet to Fail.

So even the cheap seats have a good view if you add a nice slip cover..

Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
I spent $700 on an inexpensive DPMS made a couple of enhancements, and have run it through the four day rifle course multiple times.

Has yet to Fail.

So even the cheap seats have a good view if you add a nice slip cover..
What enhancements did you do to the DPMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A new upper could be a Super Duty enhancement!