Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR reliability (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-reliability-59763/)

blucoondawg 03-08-2012 05:53 PM

AR reliability

I haven't made the AR plunge yet but have been doing research, it seems most guys on here say that if you have a higher end AR such as Colt or Daniels Defense that your gun will be more "reliable" as far as if it isn't kept quite as clean it will still operate flawlessly, as opposed to your bargain rifles having more problems with failures due to being dirty. Now forgive me for my inexperience and possibly a dumb question here, but what is it about the higher end rifles that make them better than the cheaper ones, are the tolerances different to allow for more dirty operation? I thought all ARs were supposed to be built to the same specs. Is it just that the higher end rifles have nice smooth poished surfaces on all the parts therefore making them higher quality and less prone to have crap stick to them? As I said, probably dumb questions, just wondering what makes them so much more reliable.

Snakedriver 03-08-2012 06:26 PM

Good lord! You're going to make certain people's heads explode with crazy talk like that!!!! :eek: Practically everyone knows that in order to get any respect you MUST spend the absolute MOST money possible on your AR so you can be a Tier 1, super secret squirrel, combat ready operator and shoot at least 10,000 rounds a year running that gun hard. :p;):D

BTW, I bought a middle of the road $815 RRA (gasp!) and while it's not very old yet, it hasn't failed even once. It is also dead-on accurate. I think that many others with S&W's DPMS's Stags and Armalites (hock, spit!) will also say the same thing. Do your research and get the gun you want. Don't worry about what the naysayers talk about. I completely reject all the conversation that says you can only get a great AR by spending $3,000.

What a boring world it would be if everyone drove around in Rolls Royces and Bentley's. My Ford is no less of a reliable vehicle just because it didn't cost a quarter-million bucks.

ETA: HA! I just noticed this is my Post 666. How appropriate........sacrilege!!! :D

blucoondawg 03-08-2012 06:57 PM

No, I'm by no means refering to a $3000 gun, I'm talking 1000-1500 range versus some of the real cheap ones, I guess I don't know what models are all considered to be not so good other than I have heard to stay away from Olympic. I guess I would like some of the guys who have said on this forum that a better quality (higher cost) AR will be more reliable than a bargain model. I would also consider RRA one of the ones getting up to the higher end quality wise from what I have read, basically I just want to know what makes one better than another when they are all interchangable parts which I would assume are all built to the same specs. What about the Colt makes it a better quality as far as reliability goes, than a Del-ton or Olympic or Bushmaster or any other cheap model.

Snakedriver 03-08-2012 07:57 PM

The truth is, there are Colt,s and BCM's (Bravo Company) in the $1,000 to $1,200 range that will be all the AR you will ever need. They hold their re-sale value and are accurate and reliable rifles.

It just depends on what you plan to do with your AR. Some people hunt and varmit at long range, some participate in shooting competitions & courses and some people are just weekend plinkers at the range. Each places different demands on the AR you use and will dictate which will be best for your needs.

One of the only things I'm never going to be sold on is the AR's that use composites rather than aluminum. They are gaining popularity because of the low prices and lightweight materials. IMO, you should avoid those if you want to do some serious AR shooting.

Quentin 03-08-2012 08:12 PM

blucoondawg, you haven't said what your applications for the AR will be. And that's the most important part of the equation.

Let's face it, with ARs, cars, trucks, toasters and TVs there are different levels of quality and reliability while price is all over the board (depending on how good and lucky you are at finding the best deal). If any of the products above will hardly be used, then why not go cheap as it probably will be good enough. A Vulcan AR can sit in the safe as well as a Colt. If you're just going to plink in the desert you also may not need top quality. But if you're a soldier or LEO or want an AR that is as close to 100% reliable, then maybe you'll want to research which brands can get you there. Put another way, if you routinely jump out of planes would you put a little more research and money in your parachutes?

Another thing to remember, research and shopping can get you great prices. If you do your homework you can get more quality for your dollar.

blucoondawg 03-08-2012 08:15 PM

I'd be looking to keep it around for self defense in a shtf scenario, I want one that is gonna be reliable, it doesn't need to drive tacks at 200 yds but I would like it to hit a human at that distance and I may take it deer hunting once in awhile for s**ts and giggles. I know there are good guns in that price range, my question is what makes that gun in that price range better than a 600 dollar AR other than the name and pricetag? Not looking for opinions or brand loyalty I'm looking for actual facts that tell me why one is better than the other

Quentin 03-08-2012 08:16 PM

Also, I notice you're from WI... have you looked at BCM? You'll like what you see if you scrutinize the little details. The various ARs out there are NOT built to the same specs even though parts may interchange. A lot of corners can be cut to achieve a certain price point.

AgentTikki 03-08-2012 08:17 PM

There are stoppages, like FTF or FTE and there are stoppages like bolts breaking, barrels cracking.

MP/HP testing will help prevent the latter types. Most upper tier ARs will have this type of testing.

The more common place FTF or FTE can and will be found on upper lower mid tier weapons of all sorts and may be ammo related, mag related, shooter related. But the catastrophic ones, where parts break, thoses are the ones you are buying insurance from when you buy from the big boys.

blucoondawg 03-08-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 733619)
blucoondawg, you haven't said what your applications for the AR will be. And that's the most important part of the equation.

Let's face it, with ARs, cars, trucks, toasters and TVs there are different levels of quality and reliability while price is all over the board (depending on how good and lucky you are at finding the best deal). If any of the products above will hardly be used, then why not go cheap as it probably will be good enough. A Vulcan AR can sit in the safe as well as a Colt. If you're just going to plink in the desert you also may not need top quality. But if you're a soldier or LEO or want an AR that is as close to 100% reliable, then maybe you'll want to research which brands can get you there. Put another way, if you routinely jump out of planes would you put a little more research and money in your parachutes?

Another thing to remember, research and shopping can get you great prices. If you do your homework you can get more quality for your dollar.

as I said, I am not looking for anyone's recommendation on a gun here, I will have an idea of what I want to spend to get what I feel is reliable, I most likely will not be using it daily like a military or LEO may but I will shoot with it and I do want it to be reliable in case the time comes it is protecting my life or my family's lives, in other words I won't be buying a bargain gun just to decorate the gun cabinet, my question is what is the physical difference in the higher and mid range AR which makes them more reliable than a cheap AR

blucoondawg 03-08-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 733629)
There are stoppages, like FTF or FTE and there are stoppages like bolts breaking, barrels cracking.

MP/HP testing will help prevent the latter types. Most upper tier ARs will have this type of testing.

The more common place FTF or FTE can and will be found on upper lower mid tier weapons of all sorts and may be ammo related, mag related, shooter related. But the catastrophic ones, where parts break, thoses are the ones you are buying insurance from when you buy from the big boys.

Thank You, that is kind of the type of answer I am looking for