AR Reliability - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

CJ,

If you have a rifle spring, and not a carbine one, in a collapsible stock, then that is a serious problem. There is not enough room for a rifle spring to compress. Make sure that is a carbine spring please. The length of your barrel doesn't matter.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 10-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default Ar reliability

+1 on the buffer spring. Could be a rifle rather than carbine spring. Could also be a bad/dirty gas tube. Take off the handguards and look at the gas tube where it leaves the gas block/front sight base. If you see a carbon build up in that area the tube may have to be replaced. You can clean the inside by dribbling good solvent (Shooters Choice) into the tube from the back end. I use a pipette. Let it soak for a few mikes and run a gas tube pipe cleaner down it.

NEVER lube the gas rings with oil/grease! They will gum up like crazy.

You can test the gas rings by stripping the bolt carrier group, take out the FP and cam pin. Hold the locking lugs and let the bolt carrier dangle straight down. If the carrier falls off the bolt, replace the gas rings. Otherwise you are AOK.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What brand AR is it?

Mine ALL work very well. Good quality AR's make for very functional AR's.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

When you looked at the gas rings, were the gaps in the rings staggered around the bolt? Might consider spending $4 for a McFarland gas ring. It will eliminate the rings as a problem source, or fix it. All of my AR's have McFarland rings.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default AR

Gas ring gaps lined up? URBAN MYTH! That does not do a darn thing. I know, I know, some DI told you that in 1977. There is no reality to that statement. The Mcfarland one piece gas ring is a solution to a non problem.

I went to a Colt Armorers school and that topic was discussed. The instructor had a cut away bolt carrier that exposed a bit of the gas rings. He took a pocket knife and carefully rotated the rings until the gaps all lined up. He passed it around so we could see it. He then moved the bolt in and out of the carrier quickly several times simulating firing or "racking" the action. He did not even look at it, he passed it around and we all could see the gas rings staggered themselves.

The ends/gaps are slightly bevel cut just like a good piston ring in a car engine. Even if they are lined up, there is no gap when installed into the carrier.

I have heard people even go so far as to claim the gaps will throw a round off in the direction of the gap. The gap is at 9 oclock and a round impacts to the left. WHAT? How in the he!! is the gap going to throw a bullet off?
By the time the rings get into the equation, the bullet is half way to the target.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

GASP..... you mean the REAL COLT ARMORERS SCHOOL? My God, if I send you a piece of paper, will you autograph it for me?

.....and manually cycling the bolt, really does simulate firing..... sure it does.

My DI earned my respect, no armorers school "graduate" could hold a candle to him anyway.

Sorry, but there is a way to disagree, and neither of these last couple of posts is it. I will defer to the experts, since I'm not one. Good luck with the cycling issue.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 11-08-2007 at 04:44 PM.