Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR recoil

So I've noticed that my AR has much more muzzle flip than my friends AR. He has a stag arms rifle and I built mine. We're both using A2 flash hiders so I don't see why mine is worse about muzzle flip. Anybody know why this could be the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20000 Times on 11369 Posts
Likes Given: 50456

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkilletFan24 View Post
So I've noticed that my AR has much more muzzle flip than my friends AR. He has a stag arms rifle and I built mine. We're both using A2 flash hiders so I don't see why mine is worse about muzzle flip. Anybody know why this could be the case?

weight of the rifles? buffer weights? buffer springs? could be several things.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2227 Times on 1114 Posts
Likes Given: 1142

As Axxe stated there could be a lot of reasons. Do you have a skinny barrel. Most Stags like Rock River and others have barrels that are actually heavier under the hand guard.
If the rifle uses an auto carrier instead of one that has been almost totally cut out on the bottom like some of the Colt Carriers and Bushmaster Carriers. Then Buffer weight, there are four different weights normally in them Standard, H-1, H-2, H-3. Your Friend no doubt has a Mil-Spec rated Buffer Spring in it. Also there are piston type buffers. Some Stock Kits have a weaker Buffer Springs which can generate more recoil (Slap). Then what handguard does the rifle have.
Small CAR Handguard, CAR M-4 Handguard, Free Float Aluminum or Quad Rail all varies the weight as Axxe stated. So a picture of his weapon and yours would be great if you can post them.
Finally ammunition can make a slight difference. Military ammunition is hotter than commercial ammunition as a rule.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

Stock Placement, Stock Design can also influence recoil.
If the center of force against your shoulder is lower than the bore axis (center of force for recoil) then rotation is a result.

Essentially the same as my diagram for a handgun.

muzzle-rise.jpg  

Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #5

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

My suggestion, if your friend will work with you, is to swap uppers with him, and use the same ammo you have been using. Next, I would use the same brand ammo as your friend. Keep going about the process of elimination until you find your culprit. When I test fire a new build, I bring an extra AR just in case so I can narrow down the culprit.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR recoil

Thanks guys. I'll try to swap uppers/lowers with him next time we go shooting. I think the recoil spring could be weak, although I'm not sure.imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1398280423.851947.jpg
I've since installed a YHM Phantom compensator so I'll see if that affects how it shoots. Also the problem is mostly muzzle rise, and I don't know if the buffer spring being weak could cause that.

And for my barrel, it's a heavy barrel. Not pencil thin or light like a lot of barrels.