Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been calling all the LGSs, Seems Franklin Armory is thought as being good. Can anyone give me good or bad likes or dislikes about HSC 15 Franklin?? Also a Aero Precision SPR 2 for an AR10 ?? My stores arent familiar with the brand Riflegear. All I'm trying to do at this moment is buy quality bare lowers, and make one of the AR 15 into a complete gun. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You must be up north, check out Valkerie Arms, iirc out in Milipitas. They're lowers have a really nice rollmark. From what I remember, you must make an appointment before going over tho. They do not keep regular business hours.

Never handled a Franklin Armory, but everything they make seems to be a bit on the high side for what you get for the money, and the roll mark didn't really do anything for me.

If all you want are bare lowers, just get a standard milpsec lower receiver. Just about everyone makes a decent one. If you buy a bunch of them, you can save on your dros fees and dros them all at the same time, I've done 5 firearms on 1 dros before, it was nice!

Don't stress out too much about the recievers, so long as they are in spec (and 99% of the time they are) they will be good to go.

There are some options that you can consider, but will pay a premium for, like:
flared magwells
billet construction
ambidextrous controls (for lefties)
tensioner bolt (to remove play between the upper and lower)
integrated magwells
funky cutouts and shaped magwells (woohoo!)

and don't forget the most important.......ROLLMARKS! (just kidding, its just cosmetic)

If you wanna order and ship your lowers into your LGS, find one that will work with you and find out how much he/she will charge for Dros'ing it. There is no set price and LGS's can charge whatever they want. Down here in LA there are some places that will not do it. There are others that will charge $50 and even some that charge $100 for the service.

Don't feel that you have to buy from someone's stock, if its not what you really want. There are options. Lower priced ones are Aero Precision, Palmetto State, and some others. There was one linked by another FTF member a Griffon Industies lower for $95 iirc, and they promise to donate $20 from the sale to a charity. On the higher side you have Noveske, and AXTS, or just about anything billet. There are literally hundreds to choose from. If you don't believe me check out my other thread...
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/list-ar15-manufacturers-65666/

I knew a guy that said he bought 10 AR15 recievers from Palmetto when they had their $50 sale a while back. He dros'd it all one one sheet, and only paid $75 for the paperwork for all 10. So you has options!

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes I am up north now, I miss the so. cal climate. I guessing the Riflegear must be a so. cal. thing, and that what gave it away. I did get a hold of Valkerie today, unfortunately they have no lowers at all at this time. I hear you on the beackground and fees. Unfortunately I may have to go to more than 1 LGS to get these.
I kinda want to buy some tommorrow or the next day. It looks like this is what I have to choose from: 1. Sun Devil
2. Stag
3. CMMG - there was 2 left today anyway.
4. S&W mp
5. Franklin Armory
6. Delton
7. DSA
8. Black Rain - billet 300.00
9. Aero Precision
Now, I know you said, as long as there milspec, there similar. But if you or someone could metion a couple of these that they preferred over the other, it would help me. These were all around 150.00 - 170.00

I'm thinking of getting 2 or 3 for 223, and thinking of getting not more than 1 of a same brand. My thoughts have been, well get a smith mp, how can I go wrong, but I held a complete smith rifle today, it was only 700.00.
So I think, how can something like this only cost 7 bills. It just don't sound right. I then did feel a slight wobble between the receiver and barrel, thats what you were talking about as far as a set screw between barrel and receiver.
Now also, I found a Aero Precision receiver for 308, for 300.00.
I did a quick research on that, correct me if I'm wrong, but ar10 isn't a widely milspecd receiver that adaptable to several brands, am I right??
It said you had to buy Armalite or one other brand it mentioned that would adapt to it. Then Rock River has its own deal on 308 , and only RR parts will fit on it? Am I sort of right? If so what is the most univeral receiver, and what manfacturers parts will adapt to it.
Mr Tikkis responses are greatly appreciated and he sounds like hes got a Dr. degree in this, and I hope he speaks again, but if theres anyone else who can comment on that list I have to choose from, it would help me.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

C'mon, give have some preference on the list I got to choose from. I'm just guessing when I walk in the LGS. I kinda want to take care of this today.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #15

Billets are funny. While they may look nicer, but aren't necessarily better, in fact they are inherently weaker than a forged receiver.
Go figure. But honestly the lower doesn't do much besides, guide the mag and hold the buffer tube and trigger. The biggest advantage they have is that aren't made from the same cookie cutter as a forged receiver. So they can have nice extras like flared magwells integrated trigger guards, ambidextrous controls etc etc. You will pay a premium for this tho.

Here's what you need to do...

Look at the roll marks. The engraving on the receivers, the writing on them. Look at the color of the receiver, there as so many shades of black, its kinda funny. Figure out what you like the best, then dros it.

personal opinion only:

1) Sun Devil has a good rep. I like the funky font, and the name. I though these were all billet...
2) Stag, I personally don't care for Bambi on my lower.
3) CMMG ok I juess.
4) S&W Me likey. Ornate lettering looks nice!
5) Franklin Armory kinda boring imo.
6) Delton, eeeeh I'll pass
7) DSA kinda boring
8) Black rain makes nice stuff, but for that price I'd get a AXTS or Seekins Precision.
9) Aero Precision, zzzzz but these are usually cheap....like $75ish

do some window shopping here:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pictures-lower-receivers-38440/

There are common formats for 308 (large) receivers. DPMS and Armalite. Armalite is usually a more expensive. DPMS uses cheaper magazine. You need to make sure the parts you buy for them are for the correct format.
I haven't personally built a 308....yet. But soon probably. I'd honestly stay away from these types your first time out. Also most parts for these types are usually alot more expensive (50% to 100%) than their ar15 counterparts.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #16

Get a Noveske!
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/Noveskelowerleft.jpg

or get this if you can......

112e5efd.jpg   3b29a54d.jpg  

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #17

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
Yes I am up north now, I miss the so. cal climate. I guessing the Riflegear must be a so. cal. thing, and that what gave it away. I did get a hold of Valkerie today, unfortunately they have no lowers at all at this time. I hear you on the beackground and fees. Unfortunately I may have to go to more than 1 LGS to get these.
I kinda want to buy some tommorrow or the next day. It looks like this is what I have to choose from: 1. Sun Devil
2. Stag
3. CMMG - there was 2 left today anyway.
4. S&W mp
5. Franklin Armory
6. Delton
7. DSA
8. Black Rain - billet 300.00
9. Aero Precision
Now, I know you said, as long as there milspec, there similar. But if you or someone could metion a couple of these that they preferred over the other, it would help me. These were all around 150.00 - 170.00

I'm thinking of getting 2 or 3 for 223, and thinking of getting not more than 1 of a same brand. My thoughts have been, well get a smith mp, how can I go wrong, but I held a complete smith rifle today, it was only 700.00.
So I think, how can something like this only cost 7 bills. It just don't sound right. I then did feel a slight wobble between the receiver and barrel, thats what you were talking about as far as a set screw between barrel and receiver.
Now also, I found a Aero Precision receiver for 308, for 300.00.
I did a quick research on that, correct me if I'm wrong, but ar10 isn't a widely milspecd receiver that adaptable to several brands, am I right??
It said you had to buy Armalite or one other brand it mentioned that would adapt to it. Then Rock River has its own deal on 308 , and only RR parts will fit on it? Am I sort of right? If so what is the most univeral receiver, and what manfacturers parts will adapt to it.
Mr Tikkis responses are greatly appreciated and he sounds like hes got a Dr. degree in this, and I hope he speaks again, but if theres anyone else who can comment on that list I have to choose from, it would help me.
Why limit yourself? Take a look at Mega Arms, great stuff. Spikes , very nice stuff, lots of folks have em'. I have a STAG and the fit/finish is great, especially since this is my battle rifle and I run it like an adopted red headed butters

Personally I like the billet receivers, the high quality of the fit, finish and "extra" features offset any possible strength losses (usually the billets sets are thicker and more robust in critical areas anyhow)

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #18

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Billets are funny. While they may look nicer, but aren't necessarily better, in fact they are inherently weaker than a forged receiver.
Go figure. But honestly the lower doesn't do much besides, guide the mag and hold the buffer tube and trigger. The biggest advantage they have is that aren't made from the same cookie cutter as a forged receiver. So they can have nice extras like flared magwells integrated trigger guards, ambidextrous controls etc etc. You will pay a premium for this tho.

Here's what you need to do...

Look at the roll marks. The engraving on the receivers, the writing on them. Look at the color of the receiver, there as so many shades of black, its kinda funny. Figure out what you like the best, then dros it.

personal opinion only:

1) Sun Devil has a good rep. I like the funky font, and the name. I though these were all billet...
2) Stag, I personally don't care for Bambi on my lower.
3) CMMG ok I juess.
4) S&W Me likey. Ornate lettering looks nice!
5) Franklin Armory kinda boring imo.
6) Delton, eeeeh I'll pass
7) DSA kinda boring
8) Black rain makes nice stuff, but for that price I'd get a AXTS or Seekins Precision.
9) Aero Precision, zzzzz but these are usually cheap....like $75ish

do some window shopping here:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pictures-lower-receivers-38440/

There are common formats for 308 (large) receivers. DPMS and Armalite. Armalite is usually a more expensive. DPMS uses cheaper magazine. You need to make sure the parts you buy for them are for the correct format.
I haven't personally built a 308....yet. But soon probably. I'd honestly stay away from these types your first time out. Also most parts for these types are usually alot more expensive (50% to 100%) than their ar15 counterparts.
Excellent information from AT as usual and I agree with his rankings of those lowers. I have a Sun Devil 80% and Quentin Defense (same company now from what I hear) and like billet lowers though I'd go along with AT on selecting standard forged instead. A little stronger for the same weight and of course cheaper. Of your list the one I highly endorse is the S&W, I have one and it's as good as any lower gets. Nicely finished and the magwell is flared as well as any. And I like a quality name like that on my lower, there's just something wrong with a quality build that ends up with a DPMS or DTI lower when you can kick in $25 or so to get S&W or something else that you'll be proud of, especialy when you show off your build to buddies at the range.

Sure the other lowers should work fine but all eyes are on that rollmark when you hand it over to a friend. When I see a lesser rollmark I can't help but wonder what other corners were cut in that build. When I see a Noveske lower, well then I expect the rest of the build to be exciting. Doesn't mean that's true but I'd say most quality builds end up with a more interesting lower.

ETA:
And since you (OP) mentioned Valkyrie, I do have one of their lowers which is almost as nice as the S&W. Functionally it's the same with a nicely flared magwell and the finish is close to S&W. Don't know if they still have them for sale but worth a try. There are pictures of Valkyrie and many, many other lowers in our lower receiver sticky.

Here ya go, this is my Valkyrie lower while still stripped.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 10-26-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #19

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

Tikki such a funny guy . your gonna have this cat looking around for that magpul lower and he will never find one for sale . If he does he will be shocked to say the least . I think the last one I saw on gun broker had a $2000+ price tag on it just for a stripped lower
Pick the roll mark you like best and go with it . different strokes for different folks
I like the roll mark on the sun devil and the valkyrie

Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick
I'm trying to outfit myself with a couple of these before the election.

I live in California.
Won't matter when you buy if you live in commie land (California), your laws are already worse than those that would be enforced during the gun ban.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY