Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AR questions

I'm trying to outfit myself with a couple of these before the election. Most of my experience is with old single shot rifles. I'm thinking of getting two of them for 223, being I already have alot of that on hand. I'd like to have one for .308. I want to aquire at least the lower receivers before the election, and enough parts to build one for .223. I have enough money to swing this, the problem is I don't have an education on this yet. So I'd like to build a .223 one right away. I live in California. So my questions are:
1. When buying a lower receiver, will they take any magazine meant for any AR15, or do you need to match brand to brand?
2. I read rock river makes a receiver or chamber called "Wylde", what model is that? Is it the lower, or upper?
3. I also read that you can change calibers by swapping uppers. That doesnt sound right, because it seems the width of magazines would vary and they wouldnt fit in lower?
4. If a lower is stamped 7.62, does that mean it will shoot .308 without any problems?
I realize these questions may sound stupid, but just try to help me and tolerate it for a while please. I need at least get the parts soon that could be stopped from ordering or become more complicated after the election.
So any advice on this would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1072 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 607

1. generally brand doesnt matter. you may find some that seem to fit better than others just becuase it is mass produced. but mostly all mags are the same.

2. the .223 wylde chamber is slightly longer than the normal .223 and is supposed to give better accuracy for varmint hunters. you need to be careful with ammuntion to make sure you have proper fit.
3 you can change some calibers. if you change an upper you change a magazine as well. the outside shold remain about the same but the inner dimensions of the magazine are what change.
4. no, actually its the opposite. .308 chamber can shoot 7.62. not advisable the other way around.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks, well, if I want to shoot 308 and 223, what needs to be changed. Will the same lower work for both?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #4

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Go to your local LGS and let them know what your plans are for an immediate build and have them help you order all the parts, PLUS any EXTRA parts like BCG/firing pins/trigger group/springs kit/and other necessary "wear items" in case of breakage or what-not. You'll also NEED to get all lower receivers with the designated Cali bullet button, and I believe ONLY 10-round magazines. Any AR-15 part will exchange with another AR-15 part IF--it's within Mil Spec and same likeness. There are some differences with gas blocks/sights/gas tube lengths and different hand guard attachments, so readup on the differences and you'll be OK. Definitly read up on differences between "Direct Impingement" and "Piston Driven" Upper Receivers and their parts as you don't want to get these parts mixed up. I would suggest going with the "Direct Impingement" as this is what the AR is really all about. Also get it in 5.56 caliber OR multi caliber to shoot 5.56 AND 223 ammo. DO NOT get in just 223 caliber as you won't be able to shoot 5.56 ammo in it. Well you can shoot a couple rounds(by accident), but DON'T, as the 5.56 ammo is hotter load, designed for Military usage,but can be gotten at a lot of stores or online. Later, if you want to get a 22LR conversion kit, you can if you want, and be able to use the AR's lower receiver as normal to practice. As to the "Wylde" chamber. I believe that's a chamber design that's between 5.56/223 to prevent case ejection problems of 223 ammo with hot reloads(case swelling) and such.
On 7.62 caliber's, yes it is the size of the 308, BUT don't forget they make a 7.62x39caliber for the AR, and this is what they're talking about. The American 308 is just that, but is called an AR-10, and the upper/lower receivers/barrels/most parts, ARE NOT interchangeable with the AR-15 due to size differences. They make MANY calibers for the AR-15 and a few for the AR-10 and you would need help from your LGS to get the ball rolling.
You also need to keep all parts separate, so some good "tool/fishing" boxes are needed to keep all the extras in. This is what I use to keep my AR-15 parts/Armours Tools/Cleaning supplies separate from all my other gun equipment for easier selection of some speciality components that you'll find you will need. As to the upcoming Election banning even more "so-called" Assault weapons---who knows. I know I didn't vote for the Man on last election, and I'm sure as Hell NOT gonna vote for him this election. OR do what thousands before you have done---go find what you like already built and enjoy it, while learning about an AR, and collecting parts to build something that you know will give you that "warm/fuzzy feeling".
Del

Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, thats a pretty nice answer. Thanks Triumphman. I read entire article by AgentTikki today. So I'm trying to get a crash course edcation on this. Your pretty right on about our laws here on them. I'm trying to avoid the LGS for some of it though. I'm going to check my notes, and post what I'm trying to do about a lower. Also, I'm glad what you mentioned about a straight .223 model.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #6

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
thanks, well, if I want to shoot 308 and 223, what needs to be changed. Will the same lower work for both?
negative, the AR15 and AR10 are two different rifles based on a similar design. Between the 2 platforms you can shoot a range of about 30 different calibers, from .22LR to .50BMG.

I would recommend talking with your LGS to find out what laws pertain to you for acquiring one lower each for an AR15 and an AR10

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
I'm trying to outfit myself with a couple of these before the election. Most of my experience is with old single shot rifles. I'm thinking of getting two of them for 223, being I already have alot of that on hand. I'd like to have one for .308. I want to aquire at least the lower receivers before the election, and enough parts to build one for .223. I have enough money to swing this, the problem is I don't have an education on this yet. So I'd like to build a .223 one right away. I live in California. So my questions are:
1. When buying a lower receiver, will they take any magazine meant for any AR15, or do you need to match brand to brand?
2. I read rock river makes a receiver or chamber called "Wylde", what model is that? Is it the lower, or upper?
3. I also read that you can change calibers by swapping uppers. That doesnt sound right, because it seems the width of magazines would vary and they wouldnt fit in lower?
4. If a lower is stamped 7.62, does that mean it will shoot .308 without any problems?
I realize these questions may sound stupid, but just try to help me and tolerate it for a while please. I need at least get the parts soon that could be stopped from ordering or become more complicated after the election.
So any advice on this would be appreciated.

1) Magazines are standard, any good quality magazine will work for a standard 5.56/.223 AR15.

2) Wylde is a type of match grade chamber. It will handle both .223 remington and 5.56x45. It offers greater precision and consistency, while sacrificing a bit of reliability. The chamber resides in the barrel extension which in turn is affixed to the barrel and has nothing to do with the type of receiver, you have.

3) There are two different kinds of receivers, the standard 5.56x45, which will fit the 7.62x39, .300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, and a plethora of others. Your lower can be stamped with .22lr and you can shoot a .50 beowulf out of it. It don't matter. This is the reason why most lowers nowadays are marked multi-caliber.

Then there's the bigger receivers that are found on the ar10, dpms 308 etc that can handle 308 winchester, that can also handle 6.5 creedmore, .260 remington, .338 whisper, .338 federal etc etc. The only receiver that I can think of that can do both big and small calibers is the new Colt LE901, I does require a magazine adapter for the smaller caliber magazines tho. Its pretty new so it'll be interesting to see more info on the function and reliability of the system.

4) Don't worry about what's stamped on the receiver, just look at the overall size of the cartridge. If its about the size of 5.56x45 then its a standard ar15 receiver. If its larger than its probably going to require a ar10 or dpms 308 receiver.

5) In the our fine state of Kommiefornia, we MUST dros ONLY the lower receiver (the upper can be shipped directly to your house) and wait the subsequent 10 gd@$fk$#% days. If you are feeling some sort of pressure from the upcoming elections, but go out and grab a couple recievers. I'm partial to the Mega Arms MATEN for .308s, and the Riflegear lowers for 5.56. Please be sure that your new lower has a bullet button (unless you are planing on building a featureless or a dedicated rimfire caliber).

Also please take a look at the sticky, pictures of lower receivers by Quentin. There so many pretties for you to choose from.......

And please just start with a standard .223/5.56 or .308. Go for the other calibers later.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-21-2012 at 06:33 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

The only ar out there that does both 308 and 223 is the colt le901

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm liking all the response I'm getting. Thanks to all. I like how AgentTikki mentioned that receiver has nothing to do with chamber, that chamber is attached to barrel. That was still a question in my mind. Sounds logical, common sense. But what threw me off, is on Gun Broker, there are some Rock River bare lowers. Some are California compliant. Some are labled .223 and others not labled http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312698653 and then theres http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312684494
I was trying to determine what the difference between these are. My LGS told me I can buy a bare lower without a bullet button, but am required to install it myself in California. That makes me wonder what is different about the CA models and the non-CA models that "ton80" on gunbroker sells.
I was thinking of getting at least one rock river receiver. Not that I know much about them, just heard good comments etc. I am going to post what someone else reccomended I put together. I'd appreciate anyone who looks at it and knocks it or seconds it, and why or why not. The guy who recommended this hates m4 barrels. He says there skinny near the receiver and heavy at the end, which gives you a heavy barrel with the accuracy of a light one. I don't know if hes exagerrating or what. They seem popular. As AgentTikki comented about the Wylde chamber, I need to decide if I'll sacrafice a lil reliability for extra accuracy. Meantime I'm going to look into those other two brands of lowers he is partial to. I think I'll stay away from the universal colt, I'll stick with whats proven. Hers is what I previously had on my mind. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm and http://www.midwayusa.com/product/333375/dpms-bolt-carrier-assembly-commercial-ar-15-223-remington-chrome and http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 286 when I realized rock river doesn't ship to CA, he suggested getting this receiver instead http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=54336/avs%7CMake_3=AR-15zz1zzM4/Product/AR-15-STRIPPED-LOWER-RECEIVER and http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19696/Product/AR-15-NATIONAL-MATCH-2-STAGE-TRIGGER and http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24955/Product/AR-15-LOWER-RECEIVER-PARTS-KIT, again I'm all ears. I'll be back, going to look into some of these other suggestions you guys made.

Last edited by suzychapstick; 10-21-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Here's the thing about living in the great state of Kommiefornia, the laws are so convulted that you can buy a bare stripped lower and you do not have to put a bullet button on it if:

1) it has a rimfire upper on it.
2) it is "featureless". Ie no collapseable stock, no flashider, and no pistol style grips.

A third option is to use a convertible bullet on it, such as the radlock. The radlock requires a tool (small flathead screwdriver) to change to and from a standard mag release to a bullet button.

So a bullet button is not always required in your lower reciever.