AR question, possible problem? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR question, possible problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Good advice there, Cane!

Back when I worked for this gunsmith, he never would charge me for anything other than parts.

Now that I'm not currently working for him it might be different.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I'd run the gun a little longer before paying a visit to a smith. (key word: paying)

I don't like to leave a round in a warm/hot gun allowing it to cook-off.
When at the range, I load my mags with the total # of rounds I plan on shooting to avoid my cook-off concern.

PS Fight shooting is a complete different story!
That and I feel its good practice to keep an empty chamber while at the range if your not actively putting rounds down range. I load my mags to cap but when its time to go cold I drop the mag and eject the round in the chamber. RO's like this practice as well.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
That and I feel its good practice to keep an empty chamber while at the range if your not actively putting rounds down range. I load my mags to cap but when its time to go cold I drop the mag and eject the round in the chamber. RO's like this practice as well.
I normally do keep an empty chamber when not actively shooting.

My buddy that was shooting it stopped halfway through the mag and handed it to me, (not the best idea I agree) it was then that I checked the chamber.

Last edited by General_lee; 05-24-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #14

While I'm at it, let me ask y'all another question.

Some people have been telling me to clean the inside of the gas tube with Hoppes #9 and pipe cleaners, or brake parts cleaner, while other people have been telling me not to clean the gas tube at all. What say ye?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have never cleaned the inside of a gas tube even while an 11B. I guess this doesnt mean it should be done, just saying I never have.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
While I'm at it, let me ask y'all another question.

Some people have been telling me to clean the inside of the gas tube with Hoppes #9 and pipe cleaners, or brake parts cleaner, while other people have been telling me not to clean the gas tube at all. What say ye?
Might not correct the problem your having, but it wouldn't hurt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Might not correct the problem your having, but it wouldn't hurt.
Sorry I should have clarified. No I know it won't help with the problem, that was a completely unrelated question that I figured I'd ask in this thread before I forgot about it lol

I also have an update on my little chambering problem.
I was wrong about shooting 5.56 the other day, I only shot Speer and reloads, the reason I thought I shot the 5.56 was because the reloads and the 5.56 were in very similar boxes. I found the 5.56 still in the gun cabinet so I loaded up a mag with it and hand cycled the entire 20rds through with no problems! They went in and out of the chamber just as smoothly as they could.

Maybe the other ammo wasn't loaded right, or the case not sized correctly?

Last edited by General_lee; 05-24-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #18

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I have never cleaned the inside of a gas tube even while an 11B. I guess this doesnt mean it should be done, just saying I never have.
I can't see any reason to clean inside the gas tube either, unless a .22LR conversion has gummed the works for years. Just something a normal AR doesn't need.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #19

my .02....I think it is a case sizing issue of some sort. Example: A buddy of mine was shooting a .223 contender and he just neck sized his reloads to shoot through this becasue he didn't have an AR or any other .223's. Needless to say, we built up an AR lower and topped it off with a fresh spikes tactical upper, grabbed his .223 ammo and got the very same results that you have described. The base of the brass was for his contender chamber and not the AR chamber....very sticky! Also, you could be wary of brass that has already been primed from an unknown source, just another possibility. Being a relative noobie to the AR, this is the only real malfunction I've ever had to diagnose and remedy.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #20

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Sounds reasonable, 556plinker. I'd sure want to try ammo known to be good one more time but the General has tried factory though you never know in an individual chamber. And it's a new build so lots of ifs and maybes.

Definitely calls for more time on the range. Which ain't all bad!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.