Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR question, possible problem? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-question-possible-problem-42920/)

General_lee 05-24-2011 12:22 AM

AR question, possible problem?

I went out shooting with a couple friends on Saturday. I brought my Glock 19, Springer GI, Savage MKII and my Spike's/Stag/RRA AR.

I only brought enough ammo to fill about 5 mags for the AR, some of it was factory Speer .223, some was .223 that I had loaded myself while I was working for the gunsmith and bought a couple boxes, and one box was Lake City 5.56 (my RRA upper is rated for 5.56), all of it was 55gr.

I emptied a mag, then passed it to one of my friends to shoot. He shot maybe half a mag (not wanting to use up much of my ammo), put it on safety and handed it back to me. My natural reaction was to pull the charging handle and check the chamber. The round was in there very tight, almost stuck. I shoved it back in with the forward assist and emptied the rest of the mag with no problems. That was with the Speer .223.

A little later on, after letting the AR cool for a while, my other friend loaded a mag with Lake City 5.56, shot half the mag and handed it to me. Again, I checked the chamber and the round again appeared to be stuck, but then got past the tight spot and ejected. I chambered another round and shot the rest of the mag with no problems.

Has this happened to anyone else?

mjkeat 05-24-2011 01:05 AM

Was it wet w/ oil? Tight chamber?

General_lee 05-24-2011 01:23 AM

I keep it well oiled, but I don't leave the chamber wet. Just a little RemOil on a patch, then a dry patch to absorb the excess oil.

I just tried chambering and ejecting a few rounds while the gun is cold, did the same thing.

These particular rounds are reloads and I noticed a little left over stickyness from the case lube. I suppose that could partially explain it, but it did the same thing with factory ammo also.

I just oiled the chamber and tried it again just now, the first round ejected fine, the second was a little tighter, the third was almost stuck.:confused:

yellowhand 05-24-2011 02:17 AM

I've got one of my AR's that does the same thing.
Factory ammo is fine, reloads are tight to pull out of the chamber if not shot.
Checked the rounds in another of my AR's, ammo that is tight/sticks in this one works fine in the other.
Not recommending anyone do this, but this is what I did.
After checking the rounds, all measured correct;
Took my resizing die apart and then placed the loaded round up into the die where the shoulder just touched, backed off the round and gave the die a 1/4turn down and proceeded to touch up the shoulder of the loaded round.
Did five that would not extract without force, (without being fired) after this, all were fine, went in fine and extracted fine without force.
Tight chamber is all I can think of.
Case length, COL, trimming etc all fine, so tight chamber is all I can think of.
With my mics, everything appeared perfectly normal.
Been reloading .223 for well over 30 years and never had this happen before.
I plan to shoot several hundred rounds thru this one (AR) and see if it gets better with use.

General_lee 05-24-2011 02:38 AM

Thanks yellowhand.

So I'm guessing now either I have bad luck with ammo, or a tight chamber.

Maybe I just need to run more rounds through it. It's pretty much new, I've only put maybe a dozen mags through it since I've had it.

mjkeat 05-24-2011 02:21 PM

New or not it shouldn't be doing this. Id bet it has nothing to do w/ ammo. Does everything move freely w/o ammo. Try cycling it w/o ammo and see if you get the same resistance.

General_lee 05-24-2011 03:49 PM

It works fine without ammo. No problems.

It only sticks when there is a round in the chamber.

mjkeat 05-24-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 510851)
It works fine without ammo. No problems.

It only sticks when there is a round in the chamber.

My guess since the problem exists w/ fact ammo that the chamber is the problem.

General_lee 05-24-2011 04:17 PM

I'll have my gunsmith check it out then.

Thanks fellas!

canebrake 05-24-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 510880)
I'll have my gunsmith check it out then.

Thanks fellas!

I'd run the gun a little longer before paying a visit to a smith. (key word: paying)

I don't like to leave a round in a warm/hot gun allowing it to cook-off.

When at the range, I load my mags with the total # of rounds I plan on shooting to avoid my cook-off concern.

PS Fight shooting is a complete different story!